Year 1 - April fool's day?

The four of us make our way through the rest of the castle, deciding that it's probably best to go back to the common room considering it's almost bed time. We find our way to the staircases and begin to walk up the first set.

One of the railing slides into the wall as we begin to walk, and Hermione and I look at each other. I continue walking, knowing that it's pretty normal now, but Hermione keeps looking at it suspiciously.

"I'm telling you, it's spooky. She knows more about you than you do." Ron says to Harry

"Who doesn't?" He says.

"I swear it's like she's got some sort of book about everyone with random facts on them. She knows more about me too, and probably half of Hogwarts."

"Oh please, I know more about you because you're my twin and you're completely oblivious to everything and everyone around you." She says giving me a strange look.

That better not have been about Fred. I am no oblivious to him, we're just friends.

All of a sudden the staircase begins to change their direction, throwing the four of us onto the railings.

"What's happening?" Harry asks. Honestly this kid forgets everything.

"The staircases change, remember?" I say to him

The stairs stop moving and lead up to a round wooden door surrounded by talking photos, much like every other door in the castle. But I get a strange feeling when we walk near it.

"Let's go this way." Harry says to us, and we all follow him.

"Before the staircase moves again." Ron says.

"Does anyone feel like we shouldn't be here?" Harry asks.

"We're not supposed to be here." Hermione says

"This is 3rd floor. It's forbidden." I say realising where we were, the place Dumbledore told us not stand.

Suddenly, a flame lights up next to Harry and Mrs Norris walks in through the door. She turns to us, startling all four of us.

"It's Filch's cat!" Ron says

"Let's go." I say

"Run!" Harry yells and starts running, we all follow.

As we run down the corridor the flame light up as we pass them. We reach a door at the end of the corridor.

"Quick! Let's hide through that door!" Harry says pointing at it. He goes to grab that handle put the door doesn't move. "It's locked."

"That's it, we're done for." Ron says worriedly.

"Oh move over." I say pushing past Harry and taking out my wand. "Alohomora!" The door opens for me.

"Get in!" Hermione says.

"Alohomora?" Ron asks confused

"Standard book of spells, Chapter 7." Hermione says as if it's common knowledge.

As if Harry and Ron read that book. Really? We've known them for almost three weeks, and I've never seen a single book in their hands. Common Hermione, you're smarter than that.

We run through the door, Hermione and Ron staying guard listening to see if he comes, and Harry and I exploring. What I see scares the living hell out of me.

"Filch is gone." Hermione says after a few minutes.

"Probably thinks this door's locked." Ron says.

"It was locked." Hermione and I say in unison.

"And for good reason." I say

Ron and Hermione turn and come face to face with the same thing me and Harry were looking at.

A giant three-headed dog sleeping – well it was sleeping. The dog opens it's eyes and starts growling when it sees us. The dogs stand up, towering over the four of us.

"AHHH!" We all scream and run out of the door. The four of us push the door close, attempting to keep the dog out and eventually push it closed.

We all sprint to the stairs and thankfully they are all aligned. We keep running in silence – just the sound of our breathing – until we get back to the common room.

"What do they think they're doing??" Ron says out of breath. "Keeping a thing like that locked up in a school."

"You don't use your eyes, do you?" Hermione says to him breathing hard. "Didn't you see what it was standing on?

"I wasn't looking at its feet! I was a bit preoccupied with its heads. Or maybe you didn't notice, there were three!" He says as we walk towards the bottom of the girls dormitory stairs.

"It was standing on a trap door. Which means it wasn't there by accident. It's guarding something." I say, piecing together what Hermione meant.

"Guarding something?" Harry asks.

"That's right. Now, if you two don't mind, I'm going to bed." I say with a small smile.

"Before either of you come up with another clever idea to get us killed... or worse, expelled!" Hermione says, not to sweetly, and turns and walks up the stairs.

Is getting expelled worse than being killed? I know this school's cool and all, but I'd like to keep living for a little while. Or at least for another week. My birthdays in six days, I'd like to make it to at least twelve. 'Mione needs to sort out the priorities about what comes first.

"She needs to sort out her priorities." Ron says.

"I was thinking the exact same thing." I say to Ron and follow my sister up the stairs but stop halfway and begin to walk down them again. "Oh Ron before I forget, when's your brother's birthday"

"Uh, he'll be 21 in November" Ron says after thinking.

"21?!" I say. "But he's still in Hogwarts" And looks so young.

"Oh, I thought you meant Bill. He's the eldest and my favourite so I automatically go for him. It won't be Charlie then either. Percy? He asks and I shake my head. "Fred and George?" I nod

"Oh, they'll be 13 on the 1st of April."

"April fool's day?" Harry asks.

"I don't know what that is, but sure." Ron says

"It's basically a muggle holiday when you just play pranks on anyone and everyone around you, and people can't really get mad at you because it's fun. Everyone enjoys it. Well not so much 'Mione, but most people." I say

"April fool's day is kind of fitting then. They play pranks on anyone whenever they can. They pretended to be each other for almost a year when I was 7, drove mum mad. Also when I was three, they turned my teddy bear into a giant spider. Terrified of 'em now. Spiders not the twins, although they do scare me."

"Thanks Ron, anyway goodnight."

"Night y/n" they both said.

I walk back up towards my dorm and open the door to find my roommates already asleep, and 'Mione sitting on her bed, already in her pyjamas.

"'Mione, you ok? What's up." I say. I rarely see my sister this quiet, so I know that something must be wrong.

"Yeah I'm fine, it's just. We could've been caught, and I don't want to mess this thing up. I feel like I'm finally fitting in somewhere."

"It's ok, I know how you feel. We won't get caught, we're too smart. But honestly, I think we started hanging out with the wrong people if we don't wanna get into trouble. He's literally THE Harry Potter, and I've heard Ron brothers and quite a handful so who knows if he'll be like them"

"That is true. Well you should get some sleep, you've got your first quidditch training session tomorrow."

"G'night Hermione."

"Night y/n"