Year 1 - Missed the stairs there Granger?

After what feels like hours History of Magic is finally over, I feel like I might enjoy that class if it wasn't for Professor Binns. I know he's trying, and the fact that he's a ghost is kind of cool, but his voice is just so boring. It just puts me right to sleep.

I pack up my stuff rather quickly but still manage to be one of the last ones out. Typical. I look around for my twin and notice she's already gone. What a great sister she is.

Don't get me wrong, I love her but sometimes I wish I was an only child. I feel that way already half the time anyway. She quite often leaves without me as she's independent, so am I, I guess. Then the other times we're inseparable and won't leave each other's sides and we talk for hours about anything and everything.

People don't always think we're twins. We don't look that much alike. Our only similar features are our hair and our nose. And of course our brains. But everything else is different. She's more of a stuck up rule follower. I feel as though rules can be bent slightly, and it's fun to have a little fun anyway.

I wander around the hallways until I get to the moving staircases, but just miss the set leading to the great hall.

"Terrific." I mutter to myself.

"Missed the stairs there Granger?" I hear a familiar voice. Fred Weasley.

"Oh yeah I got caught up in class."

"Where's your other half?" he asks noting Hermione's absence.

"She's already at the Great Hall. Left me behind. Where's your better looking twin?" I say with a slight smirk.

"Come on Granger, you know I'm the better looking one." He says. "Godric knows you are" he mumbles

"Sorry, I didn't catch that last part." I say. He needs to stop mumbling; I can't hear what he's saying.

"Oh, it was nothing. Look the stairs are here." He says and points to the stairs.

We walk up the stairs to the Great Hall in silence. I wonder what he said earlier? I heard 'you' but that's it. Was he talking about me? I shake my head. Why on earth would he be thinking about me?

We walk into the Great Hall and find Gryffindor table, Fred stops towards the end but I keep going to sit near Hermione. Well I try to keep going when something, or someone grabs my hand. I look over, it's Fred.

Butterflies.

"Sit with me and George."

I look over at Hermione who simply gives me a smile and a small thumbs up.

"Ok." I say and sit down with Fred next to me and George opposite me.

"So Y/n, how's your first week going?" George asks me

"It's going ok. It's been a little slow. Professor Binns is so dull."

"Oh he's the worst, sorry you have to deal with him love." Fred says and I blush at the name. I see George send Fred a glare.

"What?" Fred says. I look over confused.

"Well Y/n is seems as though Ickle Freddie over here has a cru-" George begins to say when there's a loud bang.

I look over and see Seamus covered in soot with smoke coming off his hair. Everyone laughs at him. All except for Hermione. She needs to lighten up.

I look up and see owls flying in through the windows and ceiling.

"Mail's here." I here Ron say.

Owl's drop mail into most people hands, including Fred, George, Hermione, and me.

"Mione, what you get?" I lean over and ask.

"Letter of mum and dad. You?" She replies.

"Same." I open the letter and begin to read.

Dear Y/n,

I hope you're enjoying your first week at your new school. Your father and I are so unbelievably proud of you and your sister. How are all your classes going? What classes do you take? What house are you in? Do you have any friends?

Please make sure that your sister lightens up a little bit and doesn't take everything too seriously. I trust you'll do that and makes sure she enjoys her time and this wonderful school. I can't believe you're a witch! In a good way of course.

Well send a letter back soon with this owl post service. Wow wizards are fun.

We love you.

Mum and dad

X

I read the letter quickly and put it to a side, taking out my quill and paper, and begin to respond.

Dear mum and dad,

Hogwarts is absolutely wonderful. My classes are going well, so far my favourite is potions. We have flying tomorrow so I'll make sure to watch out for 'Mione.

I've made a few friends, mainly Fred and George Weasley, who are also twins and two years above me. But only 1 ½ years older.

Owl soon.

Love y/n

X

I sent the letter off with the owl back to my parents.

"Noticed my name there Granger." Fred said. "Telling your parents about me already?" he said with a smirk.

"Oh, bugger off Weasley." I said and joined my twin in walking to the library to end the day with some homework.