Chapter 40: The Great War

It was the first time that I came to study his face thoroughly. His sharp eyes held a dreadful glow, directly saying that he wasn't threatened by the look I was giving him.

Cupid stood there with a mask of the man he was. Or maybe this was his true form and I just wasn't familiar with it. This entire "simulation" was turning out to be more real than I expected.

"Why are you stalling?" Elisabetta and I, us being one, asked tersely. "Just stop wasting time and turn me in to Angelo. Isn't that the reason why you've agreed to partner up with Mikael?" I could feel her anxiety and it was concerning how scared someone could be by the thought of Angelo. I hadn't thought of him as mildly intimidating—at least not to me—until recently. It appeared that wasn't a foreign thing to her though.

"You've gotten it all wrong."

"I don't think so." I mused, shifting in the seat I sat in the moving carriage. My hands and feet were bound by his magic so I wouldn't escape. He had known me too well to know that it wasn't against my character to throw myself out of a moving vehicle. "I think you two have it all figured out. Poor Mikael thinks that he's making the right decision to save me, but doesn't know he's sending me to the devil himself."

He slammed on the brakes hard and gave me a cold look.

"Can you honestly stop being so stuck in your own head and full of yourself? It's becoming dreadful to the point that I just wanna wring your pretty little neck."

I continued to glower at him in the dim light.

He only continued.

"If I wanted to turn you into Angelo he would've been with me the moment I opened that door back there to meet Mikael. Seeing the way the two of you are at each other's throats after this war has been declared, why on Earth would I think it to be a good idea to have him have his way with you again?"

"At least you have a conscience," I said, swallowing as a dark memory of three nights before resurfaced in my mind.

It was fleeting but it held two people screaming and crying. The image enveloped an enraged, dark angel that resembled Angelo and a heartbroken Elisabetta. Both of them would not succumb to the other until what looked like a tragic ending of her being forced into submission in the cruelest way.

He had silenced her.

She was stunned when she tried to speak but nothing came out.

While holding her throat she looked up, horror-stricken.

Angelo's face showed no remorse.

Using the power he had, he had made her a mute.

Elisabetta felt like a bucket of ice water was splashed in her face.

She didn't quite know how to explain it but feeling powerless, no, being rendered powerless by the one you loved felt like the biggest betrayal of them all.

The woman was certain now that whatever had been broken between the two of them was beyond repair. Not when he could go to heights like this without batting an eyelash.

And she was right.

After stooping so low, Angelo went even further as to lock her in her bedroom with no one to attend to her personally but himself. He didn't care that she couldn't utter a word to him and made sure not to make eye contact. A shell of a person he had made her in the name of protection. It felt like time was moving slowly during those two days. Elisabetta felt like she would never escape until their enemies were confirmed to have breached the borders of the heavens.