Chapter 35: Archangel

"Is that really so surprising?" Azrael chuckled, his genuinity showing without restraint this time.

I looked at him as if he grew two heads.

Was he being for real? Cupid was stricken by my death?

Was it Opposite Day and I wasn't informed? I thought balefully.

I let out an unamused laugh, glancing up and down at him.

"Can you really blame me? All Cupid has ever talked about is how black hair suited me better, how I was a troublemaker and not worth all the risk Angelo took for me...blah, blah, blah." I mocked with an eye roll.

Azrael, not the least bit surprised, humored me by asking, "Did he really say all that?"

"Not everything, but in theory he did! And the black hair part was true!" I pouted.

"I see you're still caught up on that." He mused. "As I said, you can be rest assured that it's not a bad change."

If I didn't know any better I'd think he was flirting with me.

But I did.

I knew he didn't mean it like that, especially since I've gathered that he and Larissa must have been romantically involved with each other. I saw it when they accompanied me to my prison-like room. She had her body leant against his for moral support the entire time. He reciprocated the heat of her by slipping his hand in hers for a momentary squeeze. It was a reassurance that I couldn't interpret but knew was read clearly between only the two of them.

As Azrael smiled at me I felt like I had done something right for the first time. It had been a while since I felt like that being around someone of their kind.

Usually due to their superiority or scolding, I always felt like I was doing something wrong.

He translated Cupid's intentions for me. "I guess you could say your way of expressing your like for each other was vying for attention in any which way. Don't take that guy's words to heart. He really was depressed for a while with you no longer here."

I huffed, still hardly believing it.

"Probably because he didn't have anyone to argue with."

He didn't deny that part.

"That was obviously one of the reasons, but also because he considered you his friend. It's hard for us angels—and Cupids—to bond with someone purely out of just knowing who they are as a person. Especially if that individual is a human. It rarely ever happens unless it's the case of being their guardian angel."

"Wait, what? Really? Does that mean I have my own guardian angel?"

He clasped his hands before him, still looking relaxed against the wooden door.

I was somehow excited by the thought of that.

Having someone that constantly watched over me and manifested nothing but my well-being sounded awesome.

"Had. You had your own guardian angel until someone got rid of him."

From the look on his face, I could have guessed the culprit.

"Angelo?" I gasped in disbelief.

He simply retained the smile on his face.

"Let's just say jealousy is a disease that even angels aren't immune to."

"That's interesting as we as humans were taught to not engage in it by you guys."

"Being taught something is wrong doesn't always lead to everyone believing that is the case. Also, feelings come naturally even against our own nature. Sometimes we can't help ourselves. We are victims to bad emotions too. You couldn't begin to imagine how much we have in common with humans despite the heavens thinking otherwise."