Chapter 39: Sound of War

The only sound I could hear was that of my own breathing. I was panting as if I was going to expire soon if I didn't get enough air. I tried to calm down, but my heart still raced. My vision was weird—I could see everything from a first person's perspective but it felt like I was intruding on what was being shown to me. As if these eyes were not my own, but someone else's.

My body stumbled through the coldness of the path I ran through the dark. As I gathered my extremely long dress further into my hands, I was able to hop over cobblestones and past the trail of an unkempt garden. I kept going; as if I knew exactly where my destination was despite the odd way of getting there. I was now facing a passageway. I had managed to open it by pulling the side of a lantern which led to hidden doors spreading apart.

I was confused about what was happening. How did I end up here? Why was I even here?

All the questions I had were answered when I jogged down the corridors and a sudden burst of light came. It was from a wide room which looked similar to those in the heavens when I was there.

Wait...was I still there?

"Took you long enough," a gruff voice said from beside me.

I knew that voice. It was a short lived encounter that we had, but it was lasting enough for me to have memorized it.

Mikael glared at me, dressed in all black just like he was the first time we had met. Or should I say the first time we met as Isabelle? Because the way he stared at me told me I was no longer me. There was no way I was my normal self. Wicked mischief danced in his eyes instead of the disgust and hatred he had shown me before.

"I would apologize but as you can see from my disheveled state, I barely had the opportunity to even get here." I lilted sarcastically and walked closer to him.

No, why was I approaching this man? I—we should be running away based on that expression of his! He looked like his prey had fallen victim to his predatory acts.

He smirked, analyzing me like I was some kind of fascinating work of art in a gallery. "Why is that? Did Angelo refuse to have you step foot out of the walls again? It's already too late for that. A war has already been declared."

"Shut up, Mikael!" I spat, not even the least bit amused by what he was saying.

His amusement faded instantly.

"They're coming whether you like it or not, Elisabetta." He growled like a feral animal. "So you better prepare yourself."

My eyes stared heavily upon him. He matched the heat of my stare. When I realized he wasn't going to let up, I broke our contact.

"If it's war you want to discuss, you're speaking to the wrong person. I have nothing to do with this nor did I ever want to."

His jaw dropped open in an exaggerated manner.

Then he scoffed.

"Are you joking right now? Have you forgotten who started this entire thing? Out of jealousy, Elisabetta, they have come to wage a war out of jealousy. All because of you. I find it quite impressive that you're talented enough to gaslight yourself into thinking otherwise."

"Their jealousy has nothing to do with me. I didn't do anything to them."

"Yes, you have. You exist, Elisabetta." He emphasized, pointing a lawful finger at me. "And Angelo loves every single molecule of your existence, so in their eyes you have committed the most heinous crime in history. They are trying to eradicate this pairing with a human and angel because of that. After all, you two are different creatures sharing the same love."