Chapter 22: The Choice

Tears burned my eyes and I didn't know the reason why.

Just hearing his voice was a huge source of comfort to me.

It always has been since the day we met.

He just had a certain aura about him; it didn't only come in his voice but also his presence, his touches and his eyes.

Those strangely beautiful silver eyes.

Everything about him had been out of the norm since day one but within that, there was a sense of gravity pulling me towards him. It was as if I knew he had something to do with me. I had a hunch that he would play a role in my life or had played a role in my life, however fleeting it was. I knew Angelo represented something greater for me.

It was a pity that I just couldn't remember it at all.

He lifted his head and it took a lot of effort for me to reopen my eyes. To meet that searing stare of his—to become accepting of the twinkles that light reflected onto his irises. When I did, the tears slipped free before I could control myself and he cupped my chin.

He didn't look the least bit surprised as I trembled in his hold.

There was a surge of emotion coming from deep within me, something so ancient, hidden. I couldn't decipher what it was and why I was suddenly feeling so much for this man that I hadn't before.

But his words...

It was his words.

"Your heart is the reason for my existence, Isabelle."

They felt nostalgic and the weight of them made me want to cry whether I wanted to admit it or not.

"You feel it, don't you?"

My eyes blinked at him through the wet lashes, "Feel what?"

"Our bond reconnecting."

"What bond?"

His eyes dimmed a bit at my question, the elation he had been suppressing at me showing such a reaction to his affectionate words disappeared.

"I'll explain it to you some other time," he said and kissed my forehead before getting up.

I wiped my eyes. "Now seems to be a better time than ever. Why do you always tell me things in fragments? I'm already confused as it is by you entering my life and everything that comes with it. You acting like this doesn't help me understand anything at all, Angelo." My body shook with fury, not at him, but at the feeling of not knowing—not remembering while everyone else did. "I—I hate it so much."

He looked hurt by that.

He scrambled to me and his voice was carefully casual. "I'm not trying to hide anything from you, Isabelle. I'm trying not to overwhelm you all at once. It's not just a day's or week's worth of information you've forgotten, it's centuries. I don't want to pressure you."

"I'm already pressured. Do you think I feel comfortable with the way you look at me with such affection in your eyes and I don't know what to do—"

"You don't have to do anything—"

"I want to!" I shouted and he winced at it.

I'd actually managed to make him show signs of cowering.

I wasn't pleased by it though.

I felt awful and guilty seeing him uncomfortable but I had to air out my concerns.

"I want to, Angelo," I said much quieter. "I want to know of the past between you and me, no matter how gruesome and toiling it was. I want to be able to relate to whatever stupid jokes Cupid tosses my way. I want to understand the eternal damnation that Genie was at risk to meet that being best friends with a shitty human—" His nostrils flared. "Was a better choice on her part. I want to forgive her for her deceits." His eyes softened at that.