Chapter 36: He's Here

Angelo stood by the door like a raging bull. It was a comparison I never thought I would make for someone like him, but it seemed to be the only thing befitting for his state. His eyes scanned the room. They were a bloodthirsty hue of silver that instilled fear but as they landed on me they immediately softened. I felt like a fish out of water as he approached me like a man on a mission.

He had successfully found me.

For some reason, I felt like that was something to dread with everything I had done. My actions had gone against everything he had advised me not to do. I defied him and to the greatest height of even winding up here in the heavens.

I braced myself for the worse, physically clenching my fists and preparing my heart for the scolding of a lifetime.

However, none of it came.

Nothing but the warm embrace of his strong arms as he pulled me roughly to his chest.

I was stunned as I felt him sigh into my hair, his hold onto me painfully desperate.

"I'm so glad you're okay," he breathed out in relief.

I felt my heart skip a beat.

W-Wait...he wasn't mad at me? I thought in confusion.

My mind was unable to delve any further into his lack of criticism of me. I could only focus on the alluring scent of him. It was as intoxicating as I remembered it. All over my body tingled from the sensory overload and the combination of other things; like the way he hugged me, breathed me in like a drug and his gentle voice.

I couldn't break free from his embrace even if I wanted to. A part of me was smart enough to give him this reassurance he obviously craved from me physically still being here. I didn't know that my absence had such an effect on him. I was conscious of the fact that he would have been upset for sure but not this. I didn't expect for him to be this torn apart by what I had done. It made me feel guilty of a crime. The one of putting him in a scary place that he had been before and never wanted to relive. Yet I had forced him to.

Just how much more of a terrible person will this narrative make me become in his eyes? I wondered defeatedly.

I got that overwhelming feeling again of not being able to do anything right. It was gut wrenching and I hated the incompetency that came along with it the more that I dwelled on the matter.

My arms were beginning to ache with how he was holding onto me. It didn't seem like he had any plans of letting me go. It took Azrael to break up the seemingly romantic reunion. He cleared his throat—once, twice and then thrice when the former attempts didn't work.

Unwillingly, Angelo slightly pulled away and looked up at him. I felt my heart stop at the resurfacing of those hardened silver orbs.

I was sure he knew the effect of them with how appropriately he used them based on his emotions. Or was it a natural reaction like someone's pupils dilating in lust or joy?

Whatever it was, Azrael appeared struck by them, holding up his hands in mock surrender. "What are you looking at me like that for? I never stole her away from you. She came here of her own accord."

"And why did it take God himself to make me aware of this, Azrael?"

The words were gritted out like heavy boots on cobblestones.

Azrael—just like myself—knew better than to provoke him when he was like this, but he seemed like he couldn't restrain himself in the situation of a blame game.