Chapter 37: The Way You Lie

A/N: The song above was made for this chapter. Listen and cry. You're welcome x

Chapter 37: The Way You Lie

Angelo took a steady breath as he continued to look me in the eyes.

His gaze was unwavering as the color within it tried its best to retain its warmth. Nevertheless, it seeped into a cool gray leer without his knowledge.

I resisted the urge to tremble as his hands meekly clasped mine.

It showed how scared he was to even touch me and that was the moment I knew we could never go back to what we were after this conversation.

"I know I haven't been the most honest person since you've met me," he started apprehensively. His eyes were sinking into sadness and so was my heart. "It may sound like an excuse even now, but I had my reasons for acting that way. I thought that if I hid you from a painful past maybe we would have a better chance at a happy future. I didn't think that would discredit me so much in your heart that you would begin to think of me as a traitor."

I swallowed heavily; feeling like there were stones in my throat blocking the airway.

I wanted to reassure him, comfort him and tell him it was okay out of that pure instinct I could never explain. But this time my body couldn't bring itself to do that.

His lips curled up ironically at my hesitancy then the self-ridicule was unleashed. "And maybe I am. I'm a traitor that wants nothing but you, even if that means keeping you in the dark...even about yourself. I can admit that now."

The grip he had on my hand tightened at seeing the shock on my face.

H-How could he just say something like that? Without any sense of remorse? I thought. He didn't seem to care about how I would view him anymore. Everything had gone up in flames already. The last string of trust I had for him burned the moment I was headed for the heavens without his consent. He knew that before I even did. Therefore, it took nothing for him to act this way—like a man who had lost everything. It wasn't hurting him to pour salt into the wound even if it was his own. He was spitting out the selfish thoughts of his heart, like pure venom even if the sound of them horrified me.

My hands slipped themselves quickly out of his own without much resistance from him. He looked at me taking a step back with a now empty gaze. As if he saw this coming.

I felt the air in the room shift and the candles that were lit to the side started flickering from a mild wind.

I knew it was his doing.

Something was building in the room.

I didn't say anything; just watched him.

Angelo wasn't conscious of the change in the atmosphere and even if he was, he didn't seem to care about it. All he was transfixed by was the look on my face as he spilled his guts to me. In the most gruesome way possible.

"Isabelle," he started, gaining my attention once more because of how firm he sounded. "I have loved you for many lifetimes and more, do you think another one could have prevented me from being with you again?"

My brows furrowed as my mind processed the weight of the question.

I couldn't help but bristle at his candidness.

"Isabelle, I have loved you for many lifetimes and more, do you think YOU could have prevented me from being with you again?"

Isn't that what he was asking?

I was nothing but another replica of his love once more.

It didn't matter if I didn't love him in this life. It didn't matter if I didn't even find him remotely attractive in that club that night when he first approached me. He would've made me his anyway...