Chapter 26: Welcome to Aegina

"Did you not hear what I just said?" Cupid sputtered. "I said I'm going to—"

"I heard you perfectly clear, and I said take me with you." I chirped, manipulating him with a faux act of good vibes and casualness. "I've been meaning to see the places you've all talked about. Think of it as acceptance therapy. The more I see, the more I'll be able to believe."

"Sometimes seeing isn't always believing, Isabelle."

I was more focused on his unwillingness to take me along than him calling me by my right name for once.

And respectfully at that.

"Well in this particular case it is. I won't be a burden so just show me around a bit. I don't have anything I'm doing right now, so it's the perfect opportunity."

"What do you mean by that? Aren't you a human? Don't you have a job or something to attend to? With how crippling debt is in your land, I'd be surprised if you didn't."

"Okay, one: that was harsh. And two: I do have a shit ton of college debt but what does that have to do with me tagging along?"

"I meant you should go to work or find something else to do than wanting to come with me to holy grounds thinking it's a school trip!"

My jaw tightened and I gazed at him in defiance.

"I'm coming."

"I'll literally die if that happens. Your hu—" He shook his head and clamped his lips like he almost made a grave mistake.

Then, he released a sigh, staring at me seriously. "Angelo will notice your disappearance and hunt us down."

"He won't. He hasn't made any efforts to see me in days. He's been avoiding me." Rightfully so after the terrible stunt he pulled and flooded an entire room in the process.

It had taken me a whole day to get over my initial shock of what he had done, then another one to actually get past my trauma and go take a shower.

I got scared by the mere thought of water with the way he had drenched us like a tsunami passed through the damn room!

Crazy angel and his endless abilities.

"Actually, now that I think about it, he's probably gotten sick of me and abandoned me." I casually aired my deepest, darkest fears.

I didn't know why but the thought of Angelo wanting nothing to do with me ate me up inside.

It was an odd sensation that I never experienced before...something scarily similar to loss.

It left an empty, sickening hole within me.

Cupid shook his head, unconvinced and unimpressed. "I don't know what happened for you to have that ridiculous thought but don't think for a second that even though you don't see him, he's not near you. He'll always be within your radius now. And I know for a fact that he won't think bringing you with me would be a good idea."

"I don't care what Angelo thinks is good or bad."

"You really should since he's the chief commander of the heavens."

I folded my arms. "Take me with you. Let me see more of your world—understand it. I won't be able to remember anything if you guys don't allow me to see things that can potentially jog my memory."

Cupid paused for a second as if he was actually considering my words. Then, his eyes grew more serious as he took a step towards me.

"Angelo can do a better job of restoring your memory. And the manner in which he'll do it is much more satisfying than my trifling methods such as having you as my tail."