Chapter 33: It's Okay, I'm Also Concerned For You :)

Wissas is located at the edge of the kingdom of Gadaat, far away from the royal city of Keys.

Therefore, when Xia Zuoyi arrived in the royal city, nearly half of the lords in Gadaat had already arrived.

The rest of the lords also arrived in the royal city of Keys shortly after Xia Zuoyi entered the court.

There are 15 cities and 19 lords in Gadaat.

On the Western Continent, a person who owns land can be qualified to be called a lord. They don't necessarily need to own a city or a castle to become a lord.

There may be two lords in a city.

The great lord is the supreme ruler of the territory, while the small lord is the manor owner who was granted part of the land by the great lord.

This "land" may be a village, a monastery, or a plantation in the city.

In layman's terms, a minor lord is a trusted "official" appointed by the greater lord to help manage various affairs in his own city.

Such a small lord is equivalent to the 9th or 7th rank local officials in ancient China, except that everything, including life and death, of the local officials in ancient China, was decided by the emperor himself.

On the Western Continent, everything about the little lord, including life and death, is determined by the superior lord who entrusted him with the land.

For example.

Xia Zuoyi owns two cities. He's the superior lord.

If he gave Wissas or a village in Fort Comoy as a fief to Fernandi.

Fernandi would have the right to enjoy the taxes paid to him by the people of this village. And he doesn't have to pay taxes to Xia Zuoyi.

The status of a minor lord can be a knight without title or noble background. Or they can be a baron or a viscount with the lowest title.

But some nobles with the smallest titles might not even have land.

Starting from the earl and going up is a watershed.

In other words, the high lord who can own a city must be a nobleman above the earl.

Generally speaking, it is rare for a small lord to be granted a fief in a city. Only those who are very close to the superior lord can enjoy the right to own a fief.(1)

The nineteen lords of Gadaat gathered in the palace.

Except for a small beanie like Xia Zuoyi, all of them are adults, and tall.

They were dressed in natural draped clothes, mostly in black and white, which showed the respect of the king's mourning.

The neckline, sleeves, and hem of the clothes are sewn with various decorative patterns and borders.

The waistband is tight at the waist, and the legs are covered with slightly loose white trousers and long black boots. The overall posture is elegant and slender.

Xia Zuoyi stepped on a pair of little black boots.

He looked down at the little white robe he's wearing. The robe was decorated with delicate golden wavy lace, polished single-breasted gold buttons, and the collar and cuffs were all inlaid with low-key and unobtrusive jewel buttons.

On the Western Continent, the lords dress expensively to show respect to the royal family.

Long before entering the royal city, Udit personally put the badge representing the thorny rose of Desinia on Xia Zuoyi's chest.