6: Filling Holes

We arrived at the palace what seemed like a torturous eternity later

We arrived at the palace what seemed like a torturous eternity later. It was ghostly, not seeing any people walking the streets except for us. The palace however, seemed the place where life continued for that's where everyone was.

I saw the palace guards from afar, people dressed in earthly brown clothing. It looked just like the type of skin Reagan had when he showed me what his human side really looked like. I remembered him saying something about them not needing clothes since their scales were able to morph too and were a sort of shield around them even though they weren't dragons. It was a practical feature and eradicated the necessity of clothes. I would've appreciated having that ability as well.

The guards seemed randomly placed though I doubted that was the case. As I analyzed the position of the windows, I quickly realised that there was one guard for each window and each entry, each covering a radius of about 500 meters. I wasn't sure what that really meant, but I suspected it was just for safety precautions. They were probably prepared to change quickly and would therefore be airborne within seconds, should anyone decide to attack through any windows. More guards stood on each side of the doors, two per door. A glimmer of nervousness ran through me as the amount of security slowly began to set in.

I wondered if this had always been this way. So many guards. They reminded me of our Protectors, they seemed just as uninviting and stern. Strict, controlled and cool demeanors. Nearly inhumane.

Then again, I wasn't even really sure how humane a dragon was, normally. I'd only ever met the Thrakos men and it could all very well just be a charade.

If it was, then my gifts were useless.

The palace itself was a construction clearly built by magic. It was otherworldly, to describe it somewhat accurately. The architecture wasn't like anything I'd ever seen, though I could see some similarities in the houses back in Everett Valley, scattered close to the ocean throughout the forbidden territory. Everything that was moderately in size back at home was at least 8 times larger here. The windows, the doors, the handles, the columns, the towers. It was so massive it literally felt like it ate up everything that stood in its wake. There was no sky, no sun, no stars, no moon. It towered in front of us in a terrifying size that continued to take my breath away.

Then it finally dawned on me. Considering how large dragons were, this place was probably constructed back in the days where dragons were still mainly in their true forms but still mimicked 'normal' civilization.

I wondered how exactly that transition had ever happened. When had dragons begun thinking they needed to fit in?

Then again, looking at the white palace made me rethink that. If fitting in had been their intention, the palace wasn't exactly a good way to start.

A shudder went through me suddenly, interrupting my wondering nature and my inquisitive eye. I felt Reagan, somewhere in proximity. Instantly, my heart began to beat faster, and I quickly turned around to see where he was.