12: Survival

"I don't have any younglings, to answer your question

"I don't have any younglings, to answer your question."

The amount of relief that flooded me was too overwhelming to keep it inside and Reagan undoubtedly felt the entire impact and all its entailing intensity.

"Fuuuuck," I breathed out and with it came the insecurity, the dread and the fear.

It made Reagan chuckle. His amusement however made me angry so quickly it was like he simply pulled the wrong lever.

"You ever do something like that to me again and I'll skin you alive," I promised, taking deep breaths to try and calm myself down.

"I did not expect you to react so heavily. I wasn't aware your customs are so similar to ours," Reagan explained.

I huffed, flattered that he was trying to apologise but slightly annoyed that he couldn't just come out and say it. Instead of pressing for one, since it was his intent that counted, I let it be.

"If all our conversations are going to be like this, I think we should just sit in silence from now on," I dared joke, surprised when a deep laugh rumbled through Reagan's chest.

"Well, I think it's good to know that we survived this one. I'm sure we'll manage well in the future, too."

The warmth of before returned and nestled itself into my heart at his mention of the future. I'd never really thought about a joined future, I'd already settled for spending the rest of my life without a Promised. I'd made that decision the day I left Everett Valley without knowing that the lot of them would follow us.

"Speaking of the future. What is the purpose of our presence here in Polla'Nisia?" I asked directly. Others before me had already asked the same question. Curious to see whether he would answer the same, his gaze left mine and he let it roam through the palace hall.

Reagan sighed then. "That's a complicated matter."

Well, it wasn't exactly the same reply.

"I'm your promised, Reagan. You say you want to know about me, yet you don't offer me any kind of security either to feel confident enough to share. Knowing what we are doing here is a big piece of information you're keeping from me. Why should I trust you if you can't tell me what's going on here?"

Reagan sighed again, but not in an annoyed way. The emotions floating towards me were heavy with responsibility. He had a lot on his mind.

"It's not that I don't want to tell you, leiirin, it's just all very complex. A lot of it needs understanding that the lot of you don't have because you grew up in such a small, secluded community that taught you a lot of things that aren't true. I wanted to ease you all into this, that's why we followed you for so long without saying anything. Dante didn't agree with my approach, though." Reagan drove a hand through his hair and that's when I realised how tired he was. He was showing me his vulnerable side. His mask wasn't on, his stoic, tensed way of posing himself gone.