31: Heat

As promised, Reagan did pick me up that same evening

As promised, Reagan did pick me up that same evening. He'd woken me with a soft knock on the door. Upon my incoherent grumbling sounds, Reagan entered through the double doors and made his way to the bedroom part of my U-shaped living quarters. I was about to move when he already sat onto the side of the bed, looking at me intently. Registering the drained expression on his face, it took but a moment for his exhaustion to invade me. 

"What happened between you and Deina earlier?" he inquired and reminded me of something I'd gladly nearly forgotten about, especially after needing to concentrate on the lesson. 

I sighed, feeling irritation arise. "Nothing, Reagan. Please, I am not in the mood to discuss her." 

Reagan furrowed his brows, his facial expression otherwise quite drained, not displaying any real emotion. "I saw what you were doing to her. And I felt resentment. What did she do or say to you that influenced you so?"

I pursed my lips and shook my head. I didn't want to get into this subject, especially not when I had already shown weakness in front of Reagan too many times. Deina's words had impacted me more than I cared to admit, and saying them aloud to Reagan wouldn't make me feel any better about what had transpired. 

His hand travelled to my cheek as he moved closer to me, his proximity already making my nerves tingle in anticipation. "Please, beautiful flame. I want to understand. And I'd like to make sure she won't bother you in the future." Reagan's words held a softness to them that instantly made me feel warm inside. 

I sighed, giving in. "She said you'd choose her over me." 

Saying it aloud felt ridiculous, especially looking back into his golden irises that held my gaze with ease. 

His brows furrowed lightly in irritation, and then disbelief crossed his features. "Deina surely doesn't think that?" 

Reagan's reaction caused something inside of me to stir and I backed away by instinct. My face probably displayed my hurt. 

"No, no, leiirin, please. I do believe that she said that to you, it just surprises me that she would think that way."

I threw up my arms. "What are you even talking about? It's clear she's interested in you and I haven't been here long. Gods know what the two of you have been through together or have done with each other!" 

My hand flew to my mouth, shock running through me that I'd voiced my thoughts without filter. I hadn't wanted to discuss this with him in this matter. I'd successfully forgotten about her, but now... 

"Deina and I have never been involved in any way other than as friends. We have fought many wars alongside each other. But I've never had and never will have romantic interest in her. You are my promised and I am full of pride knowing that I have the privilege of sharing the rest of my life with you."

And then Reagan kissed me, and I melted into him all too easily. It was as though his words were magic itself, pulling me into their grip, erasing any negativity. And with his words, Deina was nothing more than a regretful girl with her eyes on the wrong man.