45: An End to it All

Dante nearly lost his balance as he flew towards the palace, alerted by both his twin Ryker and the shifter Emmet to aid Catherine and her older brother

The two daft idiots thought they could take on one of the most powerful Heretics that ever walked this earth, more powerful than those blasted Inniks.

A shriek pierced his sensitive ears, cutting through the air with a force that interrupted his concentration as he descended.

Dante's heavily armored scales were already shredded in a few places, hurting with every movement he made. He'd killed a large portion of the Heretics followers, diminishing their numbers, but not rotting them all out. Dante got interrupted, fighting against three Inniks that kept clawing at him with their conjured vultures.

Now, looking down onto the north-western side of the palace where the golden fields stretched out for kilometers, he saw three people stain the field and two of his own, dead.

A sense of anger passed through him upon seeing the scene playing out below him.

He saw Catherine stand in Kintar's grip, his hands dug into her upper arms.

Reece was laying a few meters further away, not moving. A cold feeling went through him. He wondered if Reece was dead.

Dante continued his descend with Kendra's worry invading him, distracting him. As his focus settled back on Catherine, he noticed that both of them weren't really moving, nor fighting, and he instantly wondered what it was she was doing.

Or was it Kintar, invading her mind, tearing it apart, from the inside?

Ryker landed next to Dante and the impact barely fazed either of the two that stared into each other's eyes as though they were looking into each other's souls.

And that was when Dante realised that that was probably exactly what they were doing.

Whatever it was the Little-She-Devil did, she was managing to keep Kintar immobilised. Emmet jumped from Ryker's back and ran to his brother, falling onto his knees as he touched his brother's face, shouting for him to wake up.

Dante signaled Ryker to get behind Kintar, while Dante remained next to Catherine.

And just when Catherine's knees buckled, something strange happened. All shadows that constantly danced around the Heretics leader, masking his ugly person, vanished as if merely the wind blew them away. Catherine stumbled as her eyes suddenly looked alive again.

"Tell me where you're from," she said, her voice carrying an authorative tone Dante had never heard before.

"I'm from Lumor," Kintar answered, and Dante's breath got caught in his throat, watching the exchange in both amazement and the impending fear of something bad about to happen.

"Have you ever loved anyone?" Catherine asked.

Why the hell would she want to know that? Kintar, capable of anything but a blind, killing hatred? Dante didn't need to be capable of reading emotions to know that Kintar was nothing more than a soulless shell of what he used to be, lost in an abyss of hatred that had encased him in a prison he would never leave.