25: Tied Together

Reagan and I were sitting beneath the weeping willow in a serene atmosphere as a light breeze travelled through the garden. It was finally time to ask him a question that I dreaded the answer of, but needed nonetheless.

"What is Deina to you, Reagan?" I asked directly, not beating around the bush. I wanted to get this conversation over with.

Reagan's golden eyes connected with mine, his face expressionless. On the inside, he was just as levelled.

Breathing through his nose he said, "Deina has been infatuated with me for a long time."

I nearly rolled my eyes at that. Well, that part was obvious. He hadn't answered my question. But I let him take his time in answering, since I wasn't sure how comfortable he was speaking about this and I didn't want him to shut me out.

"Since I've been walking Espheros for quite a while, I honestly gave up on ever finding a promised. We didn't know until recently that those without a promised amongst our kind were possible to be promised to a shifter."

Nodding, I understood. He had yet to answer my question and albeit I was growing impatient, I did not let it show.

Scratching his head, I felt his discomfort trickle through me.

"I do not and never had feelings for her of any kind. She is more like a sister to me."

I waited a moment for him to continue and when he didn't, I allowed myself to press for more. "Then why did you allow for her to speak to you in such a manner, in the study a few days ago?"

Reagan looked away and into the distance, a sigh traveling through him. "Because Deina nearly died, saving my life. And as a generally selfish person, she didn't do it out of the goodness of her heart. She did it because she loves me."

"And you feel guilty because of that?" I wondered and Reagan nodded slowly.

"I still don't think that excuses her respectless behavior," I muttered, annoyed that I was still annoyed just remembering the incident. Reagan sighed quietly, though not out of the same emotion.

"You're right, leiirin. My rank has always been a struggle for me."

I furrowed my brows.

"When my father was king, things were easier. I was respected but it wasn't like it's been since he died. Friends suddenly become distant. Title takes on weight. And since I've known Deina for so long and she's always been that way, it's not easy enforcing something like that."

Shaking my head, I disagreed. "It's not. If she'd been raised properly, she'd know the second the hierarchy changes to address elders accordingly." I paused. "Doesn't matter if she's been allowed to do it in the past. I won't be so nice if she does it again."

A smile spread on Reagan's face, while a strange emotion went through me at how docile he was about my strong opinion.

"Rank matters and she's not even family. I don't like that she allows herself to speak in such a way and less that you do nothing against it."