11: Predispositions

Leizer walked away

Leizer walked away. It wasn't until he was out of sight that Reagan turned his gaze on me and spoke. "Are you alright?"

I nodded. "You're always enough of a distraction," I answered candid and didn't realise what I'd just let slip from my mind.

Reagan chuckled amused. His chuckle quickly faded. "I am not pleased that you're so friendly with a complete stranger to you."

I furrowed my brows and felt annoyance stain my otherwise nervous ocean, though it remained still otherwise. It lessened my clammy hands for I had something other than his towering height to concentrate about and the intensity of who he was. It was as though Leizer and my conversation had just been erased from my mind and was now occupied by Reagan's intensity.

"You expect me to sit around and stare at the marble walls or what?"

My tone was snappier than intended, though it mirrored what I felt accurately. Who'd he think he was? If he had the audacity to carry another female on his back and disappear whenever he felt like it, he didn't have the right to have anything against me finding other things to do. Adding to that, it hadn't even been my idea. What did he want from me?

He squinted his eyes, giving me a dangerous look that should have unnerved me, but I was growing so frustrated that I didn't care. It only angered me more.

Squinting back, I challenged him.

"I don't understand you, leiirin. Have I done something to upset you?" he asked and suddenly a wave of warmth went through me that calmed my beating heart.

Folding my arms over my chest, I felt torn about how to react. In a way it was sweet of him that he finally noticed that something was amiss, and he wasn't angry about it, only curious. There was no malicious intent in his question, no desire to attack me for my behaviour. He omitted simple curiosity and concern.

I decided to be straight forward, since beating around the bush hadn't gotten me anywhere in the past. Kendra hated it.

"Yes, you have."

My words were flat and simple. Reagan tilted his head slightly, making it hard for me to stay annoyed. I felt it slither out of my system like a snake leaving its hiding place. It made me vulnerable because now there was enough space to care. To grow weak by the softening look in his golden eyes and for my knees to buckle. Gods, why did he have to be so gorgeous?

As if he'd read my mind, a smirk spread out on his face and any real annoyance was completely obliterated.

"Would you like to explain what it was that I've done?" he inquired, an edge to his tone that made me fall into the same kind of mood he was in.

Whatever that was.

"I think you can figure that out on your own", I countered, pleased with myself for not losing my composure, though I felt everything but sure of myself.