32: Family

"There you are

"There you are. Finally! Did you get lost or something?" Tyrion greeted, making heat rise to my cheeks. 

Thankfully, Reagan was quick to come up with a reply. "We got caught up," he said plainly, void of the playful tone Tyrion's voice carried. 

"Lost in Catherine, yeah," Dante grumbled and I barely managed to contain a giggle, remembering Kendra's ploy to make Dante wait just to set his teeth on edge. She, who sat next to Dante at an impossibly long, marble table, similar to the one that we had sat at back in Everett Valley when we'd both visited them in their mansion, laughed. 

Dante didn't seem to share the light mood, since he only grunted in response. 

"It's nice to have you all here," Ryker said, his voice a clean break, drawing everyone's attention to him without him needing to do anything but speak. He had a voice that one just wanted to listen to and wouldn't mind doing it for hours. It was smooth and levelled, lighter than Reagan or Dante's. It also didn't have so much weight to it, but it wasn't as airy as Tyrion's. Ryker's tone was mature and wise, even if he said something as simple as hello. 

"Thank you for having us," I said on behalf of myself and my siblings, since Reece and Emmet were both already seated at the table. 

Reagan and I occupied the last two free seats, which were both on the opposite side of each other. His was on one end of the table, and mine was on the other. I wondered if this was a display of hierarchy or just strange seating arrangements. In our culture, the alpha always sat at the foot end of the table with his Promised on his right side, symbolizing being his right hand. On his left, his beta would sit. 

I felt cold, sitting so far away from Reagan. His attention was not on me, in that moment, for his gaze roamed through the room as he took in everyone here. I did the same after watching him intently, trying to keep the fresh memories of our bodies curled together in bed at bay. 

The first course was served before the conversation had a chance to begin. I'd barely taken a seat and already a few nameless people fanned into the room, carrying plates of food onto the table. Their scales were colourful, unlike the guards, and they seemed content with their jobs whereas I found them irritating. I could've gotten up to get my own plate. I wondered if they were regularly employed here, to serve food to either the Thrakos family or guests. Their postures were stiff, and their hands tucked behind their backs if they weren't pouring liquid into a glass or placing something in front of us. 

There was still so much about this place that I didn't know. But being served like this felt otherworldly and made me uncomfortable. 

"So, we'd love to hear more about you. We didn't see much of Everett Valley in the short time we were there. How did you get along with the two races?" Ryker asked into the room and since we were in Reece's presence, Kendra, Emmet and I waited for him to either answer or give a sign that one of us should.