16: Picking Sides

Kit's attack happened so fast, I barely had any time to react at all

Kit's attack happened so fast, I barely had any time to react at all. His first punch landed in my stomach, which sent me flying onto my ass and had me coughing heavily. Clutching it, I tried to get to my feet, but he kicked them away from under me before I could. Slamming onto my back again, the air got knocked out of my lungs and I fought for air, tearing my eyes open.

"Get up," he hissed, displeased with my slow reactions or lack thereof.

I didn't even manage to reply.

He let my next attempt at getting up succeed. When Kit moved in to throw a left hook, I blocked it by pure instinct. His knuckles met my triceps instead and a hot pain shot through my entire arm, reaching all the way to my fingertips. Wasn't this guy supposed to take it easy on us?

I grit my teeth, anger seeping into me at his unapologetic expression and the remorseless behaviour.

He smirked when he noticed I was getting angry. "Attack me," he commanded, and I held one fist up to my jaw and the other below my chin. I arched my back and bent my knees. As Kit moved towards me again, he mimicked a blow that I would have blocked. He used that moment to attack again just as I retracted my arms and hit me in my solar plexus, making me fly to the ground again. This time, I did not get up and instead fought to breathe.

I held up one arm and said, "I concede."

With my eyes closed, I tried not to bite down too hard onto my teeth as my entire body ached and my breathing became labored.

Fuck, that hurt!

When I slowly opened them again, a stupid face came into view that I wanted to shatter so much and punch even harder.

"You sure?" he asked and offered me his hand.

That's when I used him, motioning to take it but instead wrapped my legs around his and punched his groin. Kit bent his legs as he instinctively went to cover it with his hands and I pushed away his legs with my own. He fell face forward and before he had the chance to react, I turned and placed my knees onto his back, pressing down, hard.

Grunting, Kit made no other sound than that. Then, a chuckle went through him. "Guess you're not that terrible."

"I don't usually go for those parts. But if you push me, I stop giving a shit."

I lessened the pressure on his back. He noticed and turned around, so he was laying on his back. His black eyes found mine. "You're not supposed to care about your attacker regardless", he said.

"I care about human life."

Kit chuckled again. "Of course, you do."

I furrowed my brows. "What does that mean?"

"You shifters are more human than anything else. Seems natural to care about them, no matter how dark their souls are. If they have souls, that is."

"Do not assume to know me", I muttered, offering Kit my hand like he had before.