17: Heritage

The mere thought of ever seeing the council members again made my skin crawl

The mere thought of ever seeing the council members again made my skin crawl. Reece was right––it did matter because any side would be the wrong one in their eyes. Even if we would fight for the same goal, they would never accept our treason. Treason was unforgivable, and that was ultimately the crime we'd committed by leaving Everett Valley. They would do anything in their power to execute every last one of us.

"Actually, if we stay out of this war, we're not on anyone's side and we can keep out of it altogether. We'll just avoid the council and live our lives outside of the turmoil. Wasn't that actually the plan in the beginning?" Jarred said, openly speaking against Reece, which was something that made me tear my eyes open in shock. Any suggestions that differed from what Reece had already communicated was done in private so they upheld a unified front at all times.

Jared never contradicted anything Reece said.

"The whole training we just did is likely for the purpose of them knowing how well skilled we are and if they could use us in the upcoming war or whatever it is they have going on with these Heretics. We'll see if they'll give us a choice or not. If they do, then the council is something we should consider. Nobody is deciding anything yet", Reece said, making a lot of unclear questions fall into place.

I did wonder how effective a few shifters could be in a war between magic-wielding humans and oversized lizards that could breathe fire.

Reece and Emmet came to my dorms upon my suggestion of it probably being larger than theirs. We hadn't had any privacy since we left and so I figured speaking to them alone would not only do me some good, but them probably too.

The rest of the pack retreated to their living quarters, and I'd watched Kendra walk away too, without sparing me a single glance. I only felt an emptiness coming from her, one I wasn't used to at all. Having her so far away yet so close felt wrong in so many ways, yet I couldn't figure out what I should do to repair the damage. I wasn't even sure what it was, exactly, that got her so upset. Was it really just my reluctancy to share things when she pressed for them? Was I really the only one at fault, here?

After I opened the double doors leading into my U-shaped room, I felt astonishment and awe pass through my siblings. The core of my ocean automatically drew it in as it washed through me like a serene stream.

"Your room is so much more awesome than mine!" Emmet exclaimed, a smile in his face that reached his eyes and lit up my entire mood. It was such an innocent statement yet carried so many emotions. It was in moments like these, that happened so incredibly scarcely, that Emmet reminded me of his age.

Reece chuckled and nodded. "Yeah. How come you get such a fancy room and we don't?"

Shrugging, I said, "Maybe because I'm promised to a prince." My voice was uncharacteristically high-pitched and I added a mock-condescending tone.

"Oh, sorry, your Highness," they both joked and bowed, making me laugh.

Taking a deep breath, I enjoyed their company and that we were finally alone again. It was like a dense room being flooded with fresh air.

"I've missed this", I murmured, relishing the safety that they both emanated without even doing anything but be here.

Reece didn't hesitate to grab both me and Emmet by the shoulders and pull us into a tight embrace. Breathing in their scent and enjoying the softness of their grip, the warmth of their bodies and the love between us all, I appreciated being so fortunate to still have them with me.

Imagining losing them made my heart stop and my throat feel like someone cut right through it.

"I am proud of how far we've already come. Who would have thought that we'd ever be in a place like this?" Reece said once he pulled away and kept his grip on our shoulders, an arm's length away. His pride resonated in his voice and managed to chase away my darkening thoughts with a sense of belonging.

Nodding, I remembered something that I should have shared with them as soon as I heard the Thrakos men talking about it.

"Dante thinks our father is one of them," I blurted, and Reece's hand dropped to his sides, shock lining his features.

Silence stretched out between us, one that became static and tense very quickly.

I was really bad at sharing big news...

"Why would he think something like that?" Reece inquired with a clipped voice, displeased, and guarded. This was the first time in years that any of us mentioned our paternal side of the family.

Shrugging, I tried to keep as much of the tension as I could at bay by pretending that it didn't exist in the first place. Reece's body language and Emmet's sharp intake of breath didn't make that very easy.

"Because of our gifts. Their theory is that Kendra has a weak gift because she's promised to Dante, but it doesn't explain the power of mine. The only thing that could be the reason for it is our paternal heritage."

Reece shook his head. "No, that's not possible." Then, Reece stopped to think, his forehead wrinkling as something went through his mind that he not yet felt the need to share. Closing his eyes, he made his usual thinking face.

"Then Mother would have to have dragonic heritage too, though?" I wondered, thinking aloud.

Emmet shook his head. "Not if what the Thrakos men say is true. Mother's gift has never been strong, it's more influential, like Kendra's. Kendra's words have more meaning than normal words do and are able to persuade, while Mother borrows other people's skills. They are both not active gifts in the sense that they have or are individual power." Emmet paused. "As much as I hate to say it, the theory makes logical sense. It is an explanation that might be possible, especially considering we don't know who our father is and could therefore not prove it false, either."

Then Reece inserted himself back into the conversation, pacing in front of us as he let a bomb drop that chilled me to the bones.

"It's true. He is."