30: Tear of Sadness

Feiran upped his training, as if it hadn't already been intense enough

Feiran upped his training, as if it hadn't already been intense enough. Now, his patience was even shorter than before. My visits to the infirmary had just started to become less when suddenly his relentlessness took on an entirely new level.

A week into the new training regime, which according to Kendra was on Dante's orders, I grew tired of breaking nearly every bone in my body. I barely saw Reagan and was too preoccupied with exhaustion to make any effort to contact him through our bond. 

He too was busy; I could feel it. Since completing the last stage, his soul being tied to mine, our bond gave me a constant sense of his emotional state. 

Whenever he was agitated, I felt it, though it was easy to differentiate. Whenever I felt his distress and wasn't angry myself, I tried to push calm into him, even from a distance. He did the same for me, which proved helpful whenever thoughts crossed my mind about how to best murder Feiran.

I'll pick you up for dinner tonight, leiirin, Reagan's voice echoed through my mind, lulling me in a peaceful feeling of comfort.

I was just thinking about you, I answered, welcoming his presence. Every time he invaded my soul like that, a part of him touched me that strengthened my resolve.

I would be stronger, with him at my side. I felt it.

A deep, weightless chuckle resonated in me as Reagan sent it. As I was about you. We have much to discuss. His words, however, carried a weight that made me wonder what was wrong.

"Concentrate!" Feiran yelled loudly, tearing me violently out of Reagan and my connection. It was still active, yet now didn't receive my full attention.

Instead, I glared at Feiran. "Take it up with Kar Reagan then, old man!" I shouted back. I only used Reagan's title whenever in the presence of his people. Feiran had nearly slapped me when I didn't, last time I mentioned his prince's name.

Is Feiran winding you up again? came Reagan's inquisitive voice and I sent him affirmation, not clear thoughts.

My attention was still primarily focused on the blind man I intensely wanted to kick in the shins.

Be patient with him, leiirin. His methods are crass, but they are effective. Trust that he has your wellbeing at heart, not your death.

Reagan clinked himself out then, leaving me alone to internalize his words, though everything inside me rebelled against Reagan's reasoning. If everything boiled down to one single thing it was that I simply didn't care for Feiran's intentions. His methods sucked either way!

Taking a deep breath, I tried to exhale my anger and frustration. I had told myself last time to keep my cool and not give Feiran the satisfaction of winding me up. I would remain in control.

"I told you to find out what fuels you," he said, and I wondered what to say, since he hadn't asked a question.

His patience was clearly nonexistent. "If you haven't found out, you can leave."