37: The Sermin

The past had the power to shape anyone fortunate enough to survive the present, into the person they were meant to be in the future

The past had the power to shape anyone fortunate enough to survive the present, into the person they were meant to be in the future. All three times were intricately designed to correlate with each other, one not possible to exist without the other. Though it was the past most people had difficulties with, the future could be just as hard to envision as it was to deal with what had happened.

For me, the past had always been something that I'd pushed to the edges of my mind, one step shy from being thrown off into an abyss I would never let myself explore. Ever since the training I'd had with Feiran, or Xenon, had turned out to be fruitful and now even my channeling power enfolded, that abyss was merely what hid in the depths of my ocean, always around but not controlling what happened on the surface. It did not create waves that in turn transformed into a storm wreaking havoc––it just lingered there, barely touched but still felt whenever it was necessary.

Finding out that my trainer who'd called himself Feiran as a coy, was actually the father who was responsible for my mother's shattered soul, stirred something in those depths and made my ocean move from underneath. It was the first time that I felt currents.

And though the currents were not as threatening as convulsing winds, they could be just as detrimental depending on how strong they were.

Xenon, my father, had asked me if we could go back to the palace. He didn't want to waste time seeing both Emmet and Reece, who I'd told him were with me as well. It seemed that Xenon was not someone regularly informed about the happenings in the palace, which was probably due to his rank. I'd never questioned him and his position in Polla'Nisia. In retrospect, though he was appreciated by the royal family, he was unimportant enough not to be further questioned. He did not tell me his life's story, but thinking about his situation and that alone, let me realise that it had been a smart move on his part to keep his identity hidden.

The only thing that did not make sense to me, was why he would forsake his kind and run off, just to go back with a target on his back.

As curious as I was to find out more about him, Reece and Emmet would to.

Walking silently beside him as Feiran, the man with the white balls for eyes, we went to Reece's living quarters in a calm silence. The initial shock of his revealed secret began to wear off and instead my ocean was left feeling a little hollow, or drained, even.

Once Reece opened the door after I'd knocked on it a few times, his eyes grew large at our presence but then settled down.

"Haven't spoken to you in a while, C," he greeted, slight disapproval lining his voice.

"I know, we've all been busy with training. This, actually, is who I've been beaten up by all this time," I said, attempting a small joke.

Reece offered a small smile, and I knew we were okay.

"Kendra told me you've been to the infirmary more often than she could count. I expect your methods, however, are effective?" Reece said, directing his attention to the man beside me whose identity was still unknown to Reece.