43: Fate

It was all just an illusion, I shouted in my mind to Reece, who was busy fighting off anything that tried to kill me during the time-out period I'd had thanks to Kintar's illusion

It was all just an illusion, I shouted in my mind to Reece, who was busy fighting off anything that tried to kill me during the time-out period I'd had thanks to Kintar's illusion. Though he'd not physically harmed me, I assumed it had been his intention to dismantle my resolution and reduce it to nothing but fear. He was a manipulating piece of shit, and despite the cuts he'd given me still tingling on my unharmed skin, he hadn't had the influence he'd aimed for and I'd tried hard to let him believe he succeeded.

I searched for Emmet then and thankfully it did not take long to spot him protecting Reece's back.

You figure anything out yet, Em?

Emmet sank his teeth into an Immortal, arched his neck, applied all the force he could muster and snapped it. Rolling to the ground, one Immortal less roamed the earth.

It's kind of hard thinking when everything else requires my attention, Catherine, he said distractedly, turning around as white arms wrapped around his body, trying to crush him with brute strength. Emmet winced, trying to find a part of the Immortal to sink his teeth into. I would have aided him, had I not suddenly been touched by the cold grip of the undead.

Spinning around, I managed to snap for a leg and as soon as I felt fabric between my canines and soft flesh underneath, I used all the power in my jaws and just rowed my head into one direction. The smell of blood instantly shot into my nose, blood spraying all over my face as I quite literally ripped off a limb. Disgusted and revolted I tried not to let the sight get to me, or the fact that I'd just done something as gruesome as tearing someone apart, I blocked out any reactions and focused on why I was doing this.

A scream erupted right behind my right ear, belonging to the female Immortal that just lost a leg. She crumbled to the ground with high pitched wails echoing through the battlefield.

For a split second I wondered if I should let her live or end her suffering.

Reminding myself that she'd probably already lived much longer than even Madame Esmara, I made a split-second decision.

I ended her suffering along with her life.

I'd imagine he'll be trying to bypass all of this chaos in order to get to the queen, Emmet finally shouted, and my blood ran cold.

That means while all of us are distracted here, he's going for the queen, I repeated and something chilled ran through me.

She's protected, Catherine, don't worry. Worry about getting there unharmed, Reece interjected, and we tried simultaneously to get out of the mess.

We managed to fall back eventually, surrounded not by blood-suckers but by fellow shifters that were all pushing forward to get to the front.

The farther back the three of us managed to get, the greater the feeling of abandoning our cause. I felt like we were hiding, letting others fight for us.