14: Assessments

With a faster beating heart, I tried to calm myself down before my emotions would tear through the otherwise stable atmosphere in the study

Kintar being the leader of this Heretics group could mean only one thing: Holden, Shyla and Tyler were on the wrong side of the playing field and if they were involved with the leader of the Heretics, that meant they were much more dangerous than I'd ever even imagined. It put a lot of past happenings into a different light––one I was not sure yet how to view.

I voiced my concerns without hesitation. "Then we better question the three of them now, make sure they are really in maximum holding and that there is no chance of escape at all. I wouldn't let it pass them not to be able to get free." That we should have questioned them much sooner was a detail I left out.

Reagan quickly reacted. "I agree. Zeit, please get word to Emerin, Koder, Zula and Renin that reinforcements might be needed and that they need to keep high alert at all times. No slacking off."

One of the men that stood around Tyrion left the study without uttering a word, only nodding in understanding towards Reagan as he brushed past him and out of the doors.

My mind circled back to everything about the council I'd wondered about before we left. Though the Thrakos men had already supplied us with quite a few answers, it still left a lot open.

"Keinarnin. It's like a prison, right?" I asked and waited patiently for someone to reply. When no one did, I continued. "The council also had a lot of books moved that had information on anything not in Everett Valley."

It wasn't much a question but more a statement that should have created some kind of reaction. All the men in the room, however, seemed trained stoneless figures whenever needed and didn't even move a single muscle in their faces.

"You called that place down in the ground Keinarnin so I assume it means prison or something. Well, in Everett Valley, we have that too. Were you aware of that?" I elaborated and finally, recognition crossed Ryker's face. I heard Dante inhale sharply and then he exhaled. A swivel of pride travelled through the room.

"Yes, the word Keinarnin is used as a synonym for prison. It can be used as different things, too however, but generally a Keinarnin is a hotspot of magic, where nature is soaked in it, more so than in other places. It makes the ground sacred and used to be used as many different things. A long time ago a Keinarnin spot was used for sacrificial rituals", Ryker explained.

"I knew it!" Dante said then, pride leaking out of his voice.

Ryker chuckled in response, looking from Dante back to me. "As Reagan already explained, Dante was working as an informant. The intentions behind that transaction were to gain as much trust and information from the council as possible. The council fights hard to protect that place from being discovered because of the diversity of use. For spellcasters, a Keinarnin can be used for a lot of dark things. That's why they keep that place hidden."