39: The Sentinels

The alarm sounded in the middle of the night

Blaring loudly, my ears felt like they would explode by the pressure of the alarm that swept across what seemed like the entire world.

Reagan sat up in bed instantly, shuffling out of it and onto his feet. I followed suit, though dead tired, I moved like on autopilot. We knew that they would attack soon, it had only been a question of time. We were prepared.

Reagan and I met at the door, briefly looking at each other with an intense stare. A lot of emotions went through us at that moment.

"See you on the battlefield," Reagan said and I nodded silently, stepping on my toes to place a soft kiss onto his lips.

Moving against mine, I tried not to feel what threatened to break loose. I couldn't have him suspect anything. The plan was to fend off as many as possible with the traps that had been set and whoever did manage to enter the borders would be met by the first wave of fighters. A lot of dragons were to fly through the sky and unleash a stream of wildfire upon those on the ground. Those on the ground were mostly shifters that had come from all over Espheros. It had been a hectic week, though I'd spent most of my days training and preparing myself, together with my siblings.

We, on the other hand, had a different plan.

"I love you," I said aloud, voicing everything I felt as his golden eyes gazed into my soul, an intense sense of worry washing through us. I quickly tried to overrule it with my determination and my security that everything would turn out the way it had to.

"You'll be fine," I told him, adding in thought that I would not let anything happen to him.

Closing his eyes briefly, Reagan replied, "We'll survive this."

Another kiss was my only answer until we were separated by the next shrill sound of the alarm blaring in our ears.

As we parted, his warmth leaving me cold, I watched him disappear down the hall. Bringing my fingertips up to my lips, I felt his kiss linger.

A single tear slid down my cheek.

And then I wiped it away and took a deep breath, bracing myself for what was to come.

With quick steps I jogged down the hallway, multiple doors opening as people flowed into the hallway which gradually began to fill with people.

Along the way, my pack joined me, since I was at the end of the hall and passed by all their rooms, one by one. I noticed Debrova and Jaxxon with red, swollen eyes, as if they'd been crying. Leana's face was drained, while Kendra bore a stoic expression, fueled by her promised's strength who was doubtlessly already standing at the border. Since Polla'Nisia was surrounded by ocean on almost all sides, there were even those patrolling the coastline. Some of the dragons were not born with wings but fins, and therefore hid in the depths of the sea, ready to attack anyone that tried to get to Polla'Nisia on ships.