8: Customs and Culture

Measured steps should have calmed me down for I could have concentrated on putting one foot in front of the other. Unfortunately, my hands were so shaky they took up all my attention. Where was I going to put them? Was it custom to have them out of sight? Maybe behind my back? But then I would look like a guard. Stiff and stuck up. Or was I supposed to just let them hang from my shoulders?

"You needn't worry so much, leiirin. Just be yourself and you'll be fine," a deep voice whispered next to me, belonging to an awfully tall male whose stoic and sure presence made me fall into a shadow next to him that I wasn't sure I could come out of.

I refused to meet his gaze, one I could feel bore into me from my side.

"Sure, I bet you say that to everyone," I muttered, regretting the words leaving my mouth the second they became audible.

Reagan, who did not grow angry at my comment but rather seemed slightly amused, let a chuckle fill the short silence. It was a nice sound, one I enjoyed hearing.

"There are not many people that have the honour to stand before the queen, so no, I do not say that to everyone."

Shock lined my expression. "What do you mean, not many people see the queen? Doesn't she speak to those who follow her?" I looked at him and nearly lost myself in those golden reflections of his soul that gazed back at me.

"No. In our culture, the queen is the backbone of the throne. The king is who sits on the throne for everyone to see."

"So, that means in your culture, the queen is nothing but decoration?"

I was mortified when Reagan opened the door just before I finished my sentence to the throne room.

An icy silence slammed towards us, and my words echoed painfully loud through the massively large built throne-room. The ceiling was curved on the top, as far as I could see, and consisted of glass. Clouds moved above us as the sun's light bounced from the marble floors to the walls.

Then my sight landed on a transcendently beautiful woman with dark, curly hair flowing down on both sides of her face, reaching all the way to her hips. Her posture was firm. She sat on the throne like she had been doing it since she was born. Her pale face made her golden eyes shine in an impossible vibrance, contrasting her dark hair. She reminded me of Reagan. The Queen was mesmerizingly beautiful, and my breath got caught in my throat, staring at her completely dumbstruck.