44: Darkness

Rage was one of the most intense feelings that living things with a consciousness could experience

Rage was one of the most intense feelings that living things with a consciousness could experience. It was known that the emotion seemed to have the ability not only to influence the mind and the following actions, but even power up the body from the inside without needing food as a source of energy.

It let adrenaline rush through the bloodstream, sizzling in an electrifying heat that pushed every muscle to go beyond its limits, numbing out any pain until the rage subsided and left enough room for the body to cool down.

But I was in no calm state.

Charging towards the shadows creeping alongside the grey cobblestone stronghold surrounding the white-stoned palace, I realised something that turned me into a glow of white that surrounded my entire body.

I didn't need to change spheres to see it, for it was so strong, that it hovered around me.

The emotion that was wrapped around my core strengthened as it was channeled with the anger, making addictive power surge through my veins, frantically pumping my blood. I shifted into my human skin then so I could use my hands to transfer my emotions. I'd practiced in my human skin and I would rely on it, despite my dislike for humans. I too was part human and not all were the same.

It was a part of me. And in some ways, it was my stronger side.

Let the waves of your ocean tear him apart, a voice in my mind said in the Ancients' language, along with incomprehensible whispering in the background.

I wasn't sure who it was, who the voice belonged to, but I knew it was one of the Ancients'. Maybe, like Queen Amalfi and thanks to my father, I too was a sort of vessel?

What I knew for sure was that it belonged to one of the voices that had warned me about the king, the peasant, and the traitor.

Kintar, Shyla and Tyler, and Holden.

Kintar was the king. Shyla and Tyler the peasants. And Holden the traitor.

It all made sense.

And I did exactly what they told me and let the force of my ocean crash into Kintar with an intensity that made the shadows stop moving, flowing through my body and out of the tips of my fingers, straight towards the slithering smoke.

I wasn't sure which emotions hit him, but it didn't matter. The impact made him stop and immobilised him, even if just for a moment. It was long enough for me to decide which emotion I would forcefully channel to implode inside of him and take control of his core.

But since Kintar was dark and not as purely structured like Feiran was, taking control of him would cost me so much more. He would fight me with every fibre of his being, and he'd fight with dark tools. He would not fight fairly, nor would he spare my life.

Either I would succeed or die trying. And I was ready to.

The atmosphere cackled around me as if particles in the air were all exploding and with a gush of wind, Kintar's figure was right in front of me, towering above me with a terrifying aura surrounding the cloak draped around his shoulders. Slithering shadows that looked like smoke hid his face.