Prologue

(Trigger Warning: Mention of Suicide)

A sudden downpour had me running towards the bus stop. 'Oh great.. now I'm stuck here waiting for a bus that's probably not going to come any soon.' 

The rain in our area gets pretty bad around June and I'll have to wait till it stops to see any vehicles running in sight. No one wants to slip on the roads of the infamous Mizzleton town, notorious for causing numerous accidents.

Standing all alone, I look at the people running around frantically as they try to take shelter from the unexpected rain. I take out my trusted packet of cigarettes and light one up.

The feeling of nicotine seeping through my veins ignites a flame in my blood. I bask in its warm comforts that have been with me through thick and thin...

~Flashback~

"I heard Skyla ranked first again. She didn't even get one question wrong!" whispers a girl to her friend.

'Yeah...'

"I wish I had her brain, then my mom will finally stop nagging at me."

'If only you guys knew..my mother nags at me too..'

"But just because she's smart, isn't she too standoffish? She thinks she's better than everyone." said one of them, rolling their eyes.

'I wish I could make friends..'

I reply to the not so quiet whispers in my mind. 'I can literally hear everything you guys are saying.. why even bother whispering...' I think to myself as I make my way towards the back of the school building.

Making sure that no one can see me, I carefully take out a cigarette pack. It was my first time buying one. I took out the lighter that I sneaked out from my house and light one cigarette up. I carefully bring it to my mouth and try one puff.

.

.

"AGHH!! IT TASTES LIKE F-ING CRAP!" I scream as I go into a coughing fit, hurriedly stepping on the cigarette with my foot and throwing it away.

~End~

I chuckle a bit, remembering the first time I tried smoking, and immediately hating the sensation afterwards. It was 2 years ago.. in my first year of high school. Who knew that it would turn into such a pleasant addiction.

I threw away the cigarette butt and looked at the rain that showed no signs of stopping.

'Well it is my last day here.. maybe soaking in the rain isn't really a bad idea.'

I move out from the shade of the bus stop and people start looking at me weirdly. Of course they would if they see a girl walking around in the pouring rain..

Feeling the sensation of the droplets on my arms, face, body.. it was a weirdly serene feeling. It was odd how the freezing cold water made me feel warm inside. 'Such a foreign feeling...' 

I start running in the rain like a protagonist in a cheesy romance movie going to see her loved one. But instead of finally meeting a partner of some sort, I was going to meet my freedom I've been waiting for.

All the looks I was receiving didn't bother me. Well I'm used to getting those since I was a child.. But nothing matters now. Smiling like a crazy woman, I felt so free. Why had I never done this before? It's after such a long time I feel happiness.

I make my way towards an abandoned building. Climbing the stairs, I reach the roof when my phone starts ringing loudly. I reject the call, only to see 103 messages from my mother and father. They're probably worried since I skipped school today and got a call from my teacher.

I've always been an obedient child, so they're probably shocked at the sudden rebellious act on my part. They wouldn't have expected their prodigy child to not go to school. Not when she needs to have perfect attendance.

I open the messages,

'Where are you?'

'How dare you skip school?!'

'Skyla!'

'Young lady, you're getting in trouble once you come back.'

and a bunch of other messages somewhere along the same lines. I sigh and start writing a long reply.

'I'm sorry for suddenly disappearing. I'm sorry for not living up to your expectations. I'm sorry for getting one question wrong on my previous science exam. I'm sorry for not living up to my name as a prodigy. Thank you mother and father, for giving birth to me. Maybe you should've made me a bit dumber, y'know? Haha, just kidding.

Mom..Dad...I'm tired...tired of needing to be perfect. When you're at the top, there's nowhere more further to go. The only thing you can do is stop yourself from going down, trying to stay at the top, while others constantly try to bring you down. I wish the world was just a bit kinder to me..haha but it's just a wish though.'

I press send and I see that it's immediately been read.

Glass pieces shatter on the road below. I threw my phone from the roof before seeing the reply. 'So that is how high this place is..'  

Being an over-achiever, always trying to please the adults, being called a child prodigy, everything burns me out.

So today I'm finally putting an end to it.

I feel the cold breeze as the rain stops pouring and I lean dangerously close to the edge. 

.

.

.

'Finally I'm free.'

.

.

.

.

.

I take the last step off the building and gravity pulls me down to my end. 'If I ever get a second chance at life... I wish I can be happy then.'