Chapter 23 - An Encounter To Remember

The Haitaini Brothers. They're right in front of me, and.. they're offering me Advil..?

'What should I do? Should I pretend not to know them? But everyone knows them.. But I'm new here so it's natural to not know them..'

"No thanks." I quickly reply to the man with his hair braided, deciding to pretend not to know them.

"You part of some sukeban or something?" The man with the glasses asks from behind. 

[ sukeban: all-female street gangs ]

"What? No." I reply flustered. "I just saw the girl in distress while passing by so I decided to help her."

"I think.. I should get going now.." I cautiously turn around and am about to leave when an elbow leans against my shoulder. "Not so fast."

I look up at the man and he's grinning from ear to ear. "You ever heard of the Haitani brothers?" Ran asks and I shake my head to show that I don't.

"Well I'm Ran, and that's my younger brother Rindou." He says and I just let out a small 'ohh' in understanding. "And.. we're the top here in Roppongi." 

"I see.." I reply, feeling a bit confused as to why he's telling me all this. 

"You see the four men lying unconscious over there." Ran points to the place where I beat up those delinquents. "They're our men."

"....."

"So you're here to take revenge on me for their stead..?"

Ran lets out a chuckle. "Something like that. We were about to see which gangster beat up four of our men but then we see a frail-looking girl who's beaten their asses."

"We don't really care about the men. They're only here to be called by us if we need them to... but we never do." Rindou adds from behind. 

"And a girl who could beat four of our men, she's of much more value than the dumbfucks who couldn't even fight back." Ran says, leaving me perplexed. "So what I'm saying is, we'd much rather have a girl that fights well than four men who suck at it." His next words leave me speechless. "Become our underling."

"...."

"Eh?" I let out a small shriek making sure that I heard him right. "But I'm just a normal girl.." 

"The four unconscious men tell me otherwise."

"I'm not from Roppongi."

"That's not a problem."

"Do I have a choice here?"

"What about this?" Ran laughs at my tired self, trying to reason things with them. "You fight with three more of our men. If you win, we'll let you go and if you lose, you'll be our underling." He smirks while I can just look at him in disbelief. 

"I just beat up four men.. and now three more..?" I slightly whisper. 

"Or.. you can get killed by us here. What say?" Rindou says in a monotonous tone and I can see zero hesitation in his eyes.