6. A Night at Spinner's End

By the time Severus got Alaina settled in on the couch where he could keep an eye on her, Harry had decided he wanted to crawl into the kitchen where the floor was cold, which just so happened to be the same place Severus was currently brewing an Awakening Potion.  The Awakening Spell hadn't worked, so he thought he would try something a little more potent.  The potion would be perfect.  Severus didn't even notice Harry until he tugged playfully on his pant leg.

"Oh dear lord," he commented.  "Please tell me that you don't think I'm your father.  Why don't you go...do something."  He looked down at him.  Harry actually smiled.  Severus swallowed.  "Well, alright.  If you're going to be that way about it."

Harry gazed up at him thoughtfully.  He wondered for a split second if he understood what he said.  Severus shook his head and picked him up.  He didn't know what he had been thinking bringing a baby home.  He didn't have time to take care of a child.  He glanced over at Alaina.  She wasn't really in the position to do it herself just yet.  She didn't look no older than he was.  In fact, she looked a lot younger.  He wasn't even sure if she was out of school yet.

A sudden popping noise turned his attention back to the potion in front of him.  He effortlessly swung Harry to the other hip and stirred the potion with his free hand, then turned down the heat.  It was finished.  He walked into the living room and conjured up a crib.  He laid Harry down inside and grabbed a cover off of the back of the couch.  He covered him up and tucked it under him.

"There," Severus said.  "Now you can sleep, little one."  Harry stared up at him.  "Don't look at me that way.  It's bed time.  Go to sleep," he said calmly.

Severus walked back into the kitchen and got a glass out of the cabinet.  There was no need for a vial when she was going to be drinking it right away.  He took a ladle out and poured in the potion.  He walked back into the living room once it was filled and sat down on the couch beside of Alaina.  She looked so fragile just lying there, her eyes closed.  When he brought her in, he cleaned her up, wiped the blood off of her mouth, and performed a simple healing charm on her.  That had taken care of her aches and pains.  Now all he had to worry about was if she had a concussion or something.  That was where the Awakening Potion was going to come in.  

He took a deep breath as he placed his hand under her neck for support and raised her up.  He put the glass up to her lips and tilted it up.  He poured the potion down her throat a little at a time.  He glanced over at the crib.  Harry was fast asleep.  Severus was relieved.  At least he wouldn't have to worry about him interrupting him anymore, although he had to admit that him tugging on his pant leg was sort of cute.  He returned his attention to Alaina.  He watched as the last little bit of the potion went down.  She coughed a little a few seconds later and he propped her the rest of the way up so she could breathe.  Instinctively she put her hands on his shoulders.  His whole body went rigid.  He didn't like to be touched normally, but somehow he didn't mind her touch so bad.  Even as distressed as he knew she must be feeling, her touch was as gentle as the wings of a butterfly. 

Alaina opened her eyes slowly.  Her vision was blurry at first.  She could tell there was someone in front of her and he was close.  She stared at the person intensely as her vision came into focus.  She gasped when she realized who was holding her.

"Severus?"

He nodded.  "Are you okay, Alaina?"

He let her go and she propped herself upright.  

"I'm a little sore, but I'm alright," she answered.  Suddenly she gasped, remembering what had happened.  Voldemort.  Her family.  It all came back to her in a rush.  She leaned forward and grabbed Severus's shoulders.  "Lily.  Where's Lily?  And James and Harry?"