53. Petrified

Alaina went out the back way from the Great Hall, hurrying as fast as she could, Severus on her heels. They were going to see Albus Dumbledore.

"Are you sure we need to inform Dumbledore of this?" Alaina asked him as they walked hastily.

"Positive," Severus answered. "He will want to know. Trust me."

She pressed her lips together as the two of them fell into silence. They didn't speak another word until they were at Dumbledore's office door.

"I'm going to let you tell him, Alaina," Severus said quickly. "I asked Harry to meet me in my office and I have no doubt he's waiting there now. Please let me know what he says."

She frowned. "Of course, but why did you want him in your office in the first place?"

He took a deep breath. "I have a feeling that he is not as 'alright' as he lets on. I want to make sure before I send him back to his dormitory. I'll admit it wasn't wise sending him by himself though." He frowned. "My apologies for that mistake."

Alaina smiled. "I'm sure he's fine. Go. I'll talk to Dumbledore."

Severus nodded and gave her a quick hug before he bolted down the stairs. Alaina looked at he heavy wooden door in front of her. She dreaded this. She knocked loudly.

"Enter," Dumbledore said. He was sitting at his desk when she walked inside. "Ah, Alaina. So good to see you." He frowned. "But I sense that something is wrong."

She glowered at him. How did he know? Somehow, he always managed to know. "There is nothing wrong, per say. It's just that something happened in the dueling club just now."

He stood. "Heavens, is everyone alright? I knew it was a mistake to let Lockhart talk me into such a thing."

"No, Albus. I'm sure it will be great once it gets started pretty well. It's just that Harry did something he didn't know he could do, that no one knew he could do. Severus said that you would want to know and I need to understand why."

Dumbledore walked over to where she was standing. "And what exactly happened?"

She sighed. "Well, he spoke a different language. He talked to a snake."

His eyes widened in alarm. "And did the snake react?"

"Yes. It seemed like the snake was listening to him. Is that normal?"

He shook his head. "No, I'm afraid not." He sighed wearily. "I was afraid of this."

"Afraid of what?"

He paused for a moment, trying to find the right words. "The night the curse hit Harry, I think Voldemort passed some of his abilities to your son. It wasn't intentional, but it happened. That would be the only explanation. You see, Voldemort himself could speak to snakes too."

Alaina gulped. "So what exacty am I to tell him?"

Dumbledore frowned, rubbing his chin thoughtfully. "Just 'mother' him. You don't have to tell him the truth. Not yet."

She nodded.

"Thank you for telling me. Severus was right. I did want to know."

"You're welcome."

Alaina nodded to him and then turned to leave. There was so much more she felt he wasn't saying, but she didn't press it. Now she was going to go down to Severus's office and report to him and try to comfort her son.

~ * ~

Harry was pacing back and forth impatiently when Severus walked into his office. The boy's head lifted the moment his teacher entered.