40. Blissful Summer

Months passed. Ron and Hermione both made several visits to Alaina and Harry's home in the Muggle world. Ron enjoyed going for walks and poking fun at the neighbors and things. It was really nothing new to Hermione because her parents were Muggles. They weren't the only visitors though. Severus made several visits every week and sometimes she would go and visit him when Harry was away at Ron's. She never really let him go to Hermione's house though. That was a little awkward if it was just her and him.

Harry and Severus had grown closer over the course of the summer too. They spent ample time together at the dinner table and surprisingly watching television. Severus was fascinated by how much it had changed since he was a young child, especially the cartoons. Alaina couldn't help but smile at the both of them. It was a touch of everything she had ever wanted; a man she could love and a son who adored him, and anyone who could have witnessed them together would not have challenged the fact that they were close to one another. The summer had changed all of them. They were more like...family. Now the season was slowly starting to fade away. September was nearly upon them, and it was almost time to go back to Hogwarts.

Alaina was sitting out on the porch near the end of August. It was a blustery day and she was waiting patiently for Severus to show up. He promised her that he would be there at the house that day because Harry was at Ron's. The Weasley's came and asked if he could stay one more night and they would get his school things for him. Of course Alaina told them that she didn't mind. He seemed to like them really well. Plus, she wanted to be alone with Severus at least one day before they had to go back to work. It made her extremely nervous to think that when they did go back it would be as a couple. She wondered what the people there would think. Would they act weird around them? Or would they simply accept it?

After awhile of sitting on the porch, she went inside. Severus hadn't really given her a time he would be there specifically, but it was going on noon and she had hoped he would be there already. Her nerves on edge, she started to clean the house up a little bit. Once that happened, there was a small knock on the door. Her heart swelling with hope, she went over to answer it. She flung the door open, but there was no one there.

Frowning, Alaina took a step outside. She was sure that she had heard a knock on the door. The wind was blowing slightly. She glanced over toward the porch swing she loved to sit in so much. She guessed that the wind could have blown it into the house. It would not have been the first time. Just to be sure there was no one there, she walked a little further outside. She went to the edge of the porch, glancing around to see what she could see. The leaves were falling from the trees and landing softly on the ground. That was the only movement she could detect. Everything else was calm and peaceful. She sighed. Maybe she was going crazy.

She started to turn around to make her way back in the house when someone with strong arms grabbed her from behind. She cried out, startled by the sudden presence.

"Let me go!" she cried as she struggled against the person. She had no idea who had a hold of her and she couldn't get to her wand.

"Stop struggling," the person said. "I'm not going to hurt you."

Alaina did as she was told, not because her captor had told her to, but because she recognized his voice. It was soft, silky, and smooth. Relief washed over her. The strong arms released her and she whirled around sharply. Severus was standing there, the hint of a mischievous smile on his face. Her eyes narrowed even though she was smiling.

"Severus Snape, if you ever do that to me again-" she stopped and slowly walked up to him. She cupped his face in her hands and pulled him down to her. She took his mouth in hers and kissed him passionately.