91. Haunted

Harry rushed into the bathroom to wash his face off before going downstairs. He hoped that his mother and soon-to-be stepfather hadn't gone off to bed yet. He really needed to tell them what was going on. He knew from eavesdropping that they were worried, and the truth was, that he was a little worried too. It was almost like he was being haunted, but that was ridiculous, wasn't it? Ginny wasn't a ghost. She was just gone.

He patted his face dry with a towel and then headed downstairs. More time had passed than he thought. Alaina and Severus were asleep on the couch. Alaina was lying in his arms, her head resting on his chest. Severus had his head laying on the arm of the couch. He looked so peaceful. Harry sighed. He hated to wake them, but he had to talk to someone, and if he sneaked out of the house to go elsewhere they would most definitely miss him.

"Harry?"

He looked up. Severus's eyes were open. He must have heard him. "I'm sorry to wake you, but I need to talk to someone."

Severus nodded and then looked down at Alaina. She looked beautiful lying there, and he knew she was tired, but he also knew that she would want to hear whatever Harry had to say. He raised up gently.

"Alaina. Harry needs us. You have to wake up."

That was all he had to say. Her eyes fluttered open. She looked up at Severus and then over at Harry. She raised herself up immediately. "I thought I heard you say Harry's name."

Alaina and Severus both situated themselves on the couch. Harry twisted his hands nervously. He hated being put on the spot.

"Okay, honey," Alaina said. "What's going with you? What have you come to tell us?"

Harry gulped. He doubted he could tell them without getting emotional, so he wasn't even going to try to hide it. "I've been having nightmares. Well, the same one, every night for two weeks now. I can't seem to shake it. I see it every time I close my eyes. It wouldn't bother me, but it's about Ginny."

"Ginny?" Severus echoed.

He nodded. "In the dream I'm in the Chamber of Secrets with her again, only she's dead on the floor when I get there. Then she turns over, a ghost I guess, and starts talking to me." Tears filled his eyes. "She told me that Voldemort chose her because she was in love with me, that if she had never fallen for me that she would still be alive. It's my fault that she's dead."

Alaina and Severus both looked horrified.

"No," Alaina said firmly. "Harry, we've talked about this. It's not your fault."

"The nightmare is so real."

A realization came over Severus. "That's why you've been in your room. You didn't want us to know you hadn't been sleeping."

"No wonder you look so pale, Harry. Come over here."

Harry walked over to the couch. Alaina and Severus scooted apart so he could sit right in between them. Each of them took one of his hands and held them there tightly. He looked to one, then the other, thankful he had such a supportive family at his disposal.

Severus cleared his throat. "Harry, you are not to blame for Ginny's death."

"But-"

"No 'buts'. You're not. Voldemort is the only one to blame. He's the murderer here. Not you."

"Severus is right," Alaina agreed. "Don't ever think otherwise. And if Ginny was here, I'm sure she wouldn't blame you either."

"I never knew that she loved me until Hermion mentioned it the day we broke things off and then Ron mentioned it again the day we left."