57. Into the Chamber

Severus didn't speak, eat, or sleep that night. He spent the duration of the night by Alaina's side, holding her hand, though it was as hard as stone. He felt he needed to be near her so she wouldn't be alone. It was irrational and he knew it, but he didn't care. He just couldn't bare the thought of leaving her all alone in the confines of a hospital bed. Not after what had happened to her at the last hospital she had been in alone. He recalled that day well. It was the first time he knew there was something special about her, something that pulled his heart straight to hers. He sighed wearily. He missed her terribly already, but he knew there was nothing he could do to help her. All he could do was sit by her side and wonder what had happened. How had she been petrified? More importantly, he blamed himself. He should have been there with her. He had told himself the same thing a thousand times. If he had've been there maybe she would be smiling at him right now and giving him gentle kisses instead of being frozen like a statue with such a fearful look on her face. The thought disturbed him.

The hours of the night passed slowly. He dozed off once or twice before dawn. Madame Pomfrey shook him gently to alert him that it was nearly time for classes to start. Grumbling to himself, he got up and straightened his robes up a little. He wasn't really worried about classes at the moment. His number one priority at the moment was Harry. He wondered what the boy's reaction would be. He had lost his mother and one of his best friends to the same creature. Severus could only guess that it wasn't going to go well at all. He walked slowly up the seventh floor and patrolled a little bit and then waited. Harry's first class was Potions that day anyway. It seemed like forever before Harry finally came out with Ron by his side. He walked up to them calmly. Harry and Ron stopped, shocked to see him.

"Hello, Professor Snape," Harry greeted him.

"Potter, Weasley, the two of you follow me," Severus said shortly. "No time to argue. Just do it."

Ron looked worriedly at Harry, wondering what they might have done wrong. Harry shrugged innocently. The first time they had gone to bed early in ages and somehow they were getting in trouble for it.

"Sir, we didn't do anything," Ron protested. "We're innocent."

"I didn't say that you were in trouble, Mr. Weasley. There is something that you must see. That's all. Now stop you're whining."

Neither Harry or Ron said another word until they stopped in front of the doors of the Hospital Wing. Severus whirled around to face them. There was a huge frown on Harry's face, one of confusion.

"Professor, what are we doing here?" he asked curiously.

Severus took a deep breath. "There were two more attacks last night. You two know the victims and I wanted you to see them. I warn the both of you, but especially you, Harry. This could be quite a big shock." He opened the doors slowly and allowed the boys to go in front of him. He heard their gasps as they stopped at Hermione's bed.

"Hermione," Harry whispered.

"I can't believe it," Ron said. "She was attacked."

Harry clenched his fists at his sides.

"She was found with a mirror from what I understand," Madame Pomfrey said walking over. "Poor thing. What do you suppose she was doing with a mirror?"

"Either of you have an idea?" Severus asked Harry and Ron.

They both shook their heads. Neither of them had the slightest clue. Harry's eyes wandered over to the next bed. Severus held his breath as he walked slowly over toward it. Ron started to follow, he held him back.

"Is that-"

"Yes," Severus cut him off. "Just let him process for a moment before you go sticking your foot in your mouth."