80. The Firebolt

Harry didn't waste any time getting into Hogsmeade. He discovered that there were seven secret passageways into and out of Hogwarts. He chose the one that would lead him into the Honeyduke's store cellar and he was on his way. There were no cobwebs in the passage. He knew that Fred and George were likely to thank for that. They had probably used the map to cause all sorts of mayhem. He smiled to himself. They were brilliant jokesters. He put on his Invisibility Cloak as soon as he got out of the cellar and made his way through Honeyduke's. He snatched a lollipop from Neville as he passed by and out the door he went. It didn't take him long to eat it either. He searched for Ron and Hermione but couldn't find him. Finally, he headed toward the Shrieking Shack, hoping that maybe Hermione had gone back to visit the scene of their attack. It was there that he found them.

"I can't believe that you and Harry are," Ron swallowed nervously, "dating. It's weird."

Hermione grinned, amused. "What? You don't like it?"

"I didn't say that. It's just that we've all been friends for so long and now the two of you have to go and mess it up."

"We're not messing it up! Harry and I like each other, Ron. How is that messing anything up?"

He shook his head. "I don't know. It sounded good at the time."

Harry turned to look over his shoulder. He heard footsteps, and a lot of them. Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle were coming down the path. He looked back at Hermione and Ron. They were completely oblivious. He wanted to warn them, but then they would know that he was there. He stayed where he was and watched as they approached.

"Ah, are you two shopping for your new dream home?" Draco quipped. "I thought you were with Potter, Granger. You must really get around."

Harry's fist clenched tight.

"Take that back!" Ron yelled.

"I don't think I'd care to, Weasleby."

Ron's eyes narrowed. Harry could tell that he was mad. He saw Ron grab his wand and his ears were turning red. "Take it back, Malfoy."

"Or what?" Goyle asked. "Are you going to curse us?"

"Like we're scared of you," Crabbe commented.

Worry crossed Hermione's face and Harry felt his stomach lerch. He wanted to be there to comfort her. A small lump of snow fell from the tree above him, breaking his concentration. He shook it off carefully, hoping not to draw attention to himself. Then suddenly he had a great idea. He stooped down and got a handful of snow and compacted it into a ball. Harry rared back when he was finished and threw it as hard as he could at the side of Malfoy's head.

Ron and Hermione impulsively took a step back.

"Who did that?" Malfoy demanded. He looked around at Crabbe and Goyle, but they did nothing but shrug their shoulders. "How did either of you do that?"

"We didn't do anything," Hermione told him. "Maybe you're going mad."

Draco's eyes narrowed. "One of you did it."

Suddenly another snowball hit him. He cried out, startled.

"See."

A scowl appeared on Draco's face. "You're doing it somehow."

Then another snowball came and hit Crabbe, then one hit Goyle.

"Who is doing that?" Draco growled.

Ron and Hermione were laughing hard despite the fact that they really didn't know what was going on either. The laughing continued as an invisible figure knocked Malfoy to the ground and dragged him toward the Shrieking Shack. Malfoy screamed like a whiny little girl and got up as soon as he was let go. He and his friends ran off like scared rabbits. Ron was laughing so hard his stomach hurt...that is until someone grabbed the strings on his hat and started tugging at them. His smile faded quickly, but not Hermione's.