18. First Classes

Severus couldn't understand why Alaina exited the office as quickly as she did.  He stood there frozen to the spot where she'd left him, feeling like he had done something wrong.  She had mentioned wondering what house she would have been in.  There was no need for her to be upset just because the house was Slytherin.  It wasn't as bad as everyone thought.  He was sure James and Sirius had 'talked it up' and made it look a thousand times worse than it really was.  Maybe being in Slytherin wasn't what had upset her, but it had been something.  She barely stayed in the room another second after the revelation.  He sighed and headed toward the door himself.  He opened the office door and prepared to exit, but was greeted by someone.

"Where are you off to in such a hurry, Severus?" Albus asked him.  He had just gotten up to the top of the staircase when the door opened.

"I apologize, Albus," he said hastily, "but I need to catch up with Alaina.  She's upset and I think I was the reason."

He frowned.  "What could you have possibly done to upset her?"

"I brought her up here to have a look at the Sorting Hat.  She wondered what house she would have been in had she been able to attend, so I let her find out."  He wrung his hands nervously.

"I assume it was Gryffindor?"

"No, Albus.  It wasn't.  It was Slytherin."

"Slytherin?"

Severus nodded.  "I think that is what upset her, although I have no idea why."

Dumbledore sighed.  "I do."

"Then please enlighten me."

He smiled.  "Severus I am not sure I am the one to tell you.  Alaina needs to be the one to share her secret with you.  But she doesn't view herself as a good person on occasion.  She might need some help from you."  It was the reason she was in the hospital, but this wasn't information he could just give away.  She should be the one to tell him.

Severus didn't know what to say.  What would make Alaina Evans think she wasn't a good person?  She gave up her life to raise Harry and sacrificed everything she had ever known to keep him safe.  Only a good person with a good heart would have done what she did.  He would tell her if he had to.  He would do anything to see her smile.  He hated seeing her sad.

"Of course," he said.  "Where do you suppose she went?"

"To her quarters."

"I'll go check on her now."

"Let me know how it goes."

Severus nodded to Dumbledore and then went on his way.  He headed up to the seventh floor as fast as his legs would carry him.  He didn't know exactly where the quarters was located, but it didn't take him long to discover it.  It was the only door on the floor that was locked.  He laid his ear to it.  He could hear some rustling inside.  Drawing a deep sigh, he knocked.  It was a few seconds before he heard the sound of the deadbolt unlocking.  When the door opened, Alaina was standing there, wrapped in a blanket.  It wasn't hard to tell she had been crying.

"Severus, what are you doing up here?" Alaina sniffed.  "I thought it was Harry."

He searched her countenance.  "I wanted to make sure you were okay.  I know you're upset.  I just don't understand why.  I was only trying to fulfill your wishes."

"I know, Severus.  I don't know why I reacted that way.  I guess it was just that everyone I ever knew, including Dumbledore, was in Gryffindor.  I always expected to be in that house, too. "

"It's more than what you're saying, Alaina.  I can tell."  He stared at her sympathetically.  "You can talk to me about anything.  There is no secret more terrible than some of the things I've done."