88. Cleared

Severus's eyes opened slowly. Every part of his body ached in some way or another, and he felt like he had been hit by the Hogwarts Express. He tried to move, but he was too sore to do so. His eyes searched for a clue to where he was. He knew by the light blaring in his eyes that he was no longer out by the Whomping Willow, which meant that someone had taken him from the area. He remembered Lupin, in his wolf form, slinging him to the side like he was some sort of rag doll. He had been protecting Alaina and Harry. His heart skipped a beat. Where were they? What became of them?

Frantically, he glanced to the side. Hospital beds were the only things he saw. Ron was in one of them. He recalled that he had been hurt. Madame Pomfrey was tending to his leg now. He looked to the other side. Sirius was in the bed next to his. He looked like he had been bandaged up too. He didn't remember Sirius being injured. Suddenly, everything started to come flooding back, what had happened up until the point that Lupin changed into the wolf. Worry creased his forehead. He summoned all the strength he could and managed to sit himself up a little in his bed. His head hurt more than anything. He raised his hand to it, and touched something foreign, something he didn't remember being there before. It was a bandage the best he could tell.

He looked around the room. Now that he was sitting up, he could see everything more clearly. Relief flooded over him as his eyes rested on Harry. He and Hermione were hugging one another, standing over by the door. Dumbledore and Cornelius Fudge were with them, and standing beside of Dumbledore was Alaina. He sighed. She was safe. They were safe. He frowned as he listened to the conversation taking place. No one had noticed he was awake yet, obviously.

"I just don't believe it," Fudge said. "This whole time he was innocent."

"Yes," Dumbledore said. "He nearly died to prove it."

"Who would have thought Pettigrew would be working for the Dark Lord?"

"Certainly not me. He didn't seem like the type. But you heard him, Cornelius. He confessed to everything. Sirius is innocent. He deserves a full pardon."

Fudge rubbed his chin thoughtfully. "Yes." He wasn't happy about it. "I suppose he does. And we're sure Pettigrew isn't lying about You-Know-Who's return?"

This time, Alaina spoke. "We're absolutely positive. Voldemort has been back since the end of last year. With all due respect, Minister, we tried to tell you this, but you wouldn't listen. You wouldn't have it. Now look what has happened. He almost got us all killed."

"I understand that you're upset."

"Upset? No. I'm ticked off."

Harry laid his hand on his mother's shoulder. He let Hermione go the minute he heard her voice raise. She glanced back at him and he smiled sympathetically at her. She took a deep breath.

"Ms. Evans, I assure you I meant you or your boy no harm."

"I know," she said coolly. "I'm just tired. We all are."

"Of course."

"Well, what is the plan now, Cornelius?" Dumbledore asked. He was curious as to the plan of action he was going to take.

It took Fudge a long time to answer. "Sirius Black is a free man. He will have a full pardon and our sincerest apologies. I suppose I'll have to print a reprieve in the Daily Prophet and tell everyone what's been going on. Then I will gather every Auror we have. We'll start looking for You-Know-Who."

"Good. If you need my help, Minister, you know where to find me."

Fudge nodded curtly. "Now I must be getting back. The Aurors I brought with me will be escorting Pettigrew to Azkaban and then I will set everything else in motion."