44. The Elf's Warning

Alaina waited until all the students and teachers were gone from the Great Hall before she made her move. She casually got up from her chair when she and Dumbledore were the only two left and said her goodbye to him. He nodded casually in her direction and then excused herself. She walked calmly out into the hallway and started toward the door to the Dungeons. She knew that's where Severus would be waiting for her. His office was their 'usual' place. She stopped short when she got to the main staircase. There were three students sitting there chatting quietly, three students that were supposed to be on their way to their dormitories.

"Aren't the three of you supposed to be heading toward Gryffindor Tower?" she asked as she walked quietly up to them.

Harry, Ron, and Hermione all jumped, startled by her sudden appearance. They had been so engrossed in conversation that they hadn't even noticed she was there.

"Hi, mum," Harry greeted her. He smiled.

She smiled back at him. "Harry, go to your house. Ron, Hermione, you too. Professor Dumbledore will be heading this way any moment and I don't want the three of you to start off the year getting into trouble."

"Okay," Harry agreed. Getting in trouble was the last thing he wanted to do.

"But you're going to finish telling us the story aren't you, Harry?" Ron asked hopefully.

"Sure I will. As soon as we get to the Common Room."

Hermione smiled. "Good. I'm eager to hear about this creature you met in your bedroom."

Ron glanced at her in disbelief and then looked at Alaina and back at Hermione.

"It's okay, Mr. Weasley," Alaina told him. "I know all about Harry's encounter. He told me."

He seemed to relax a little bit. "Oh, okay."

"Now you three run along."

They heard the Great Hall doors open and the three of them ran up the main staircase in a hurry. Alaina chuckled as she watched them run out of sight. Dumbledore walked calmly up to her.

"What was that?"

She frowned at him. "What was what?"

He smirked. "That thundering herd."

Alaina laughed. "Just some stragglers. Harry and his friends were having a discussion on the staircase. I sent them to their dormitory, Albus."

He smiled. "Thank you. You saved me the trouble. Are you on your way to your office?"

"No. I was actually going down to visit with Severus for a moment."

"Ah, the two of you are still friends. Marvelous."

"Is there any reason why we wouldn't be?"

Albus only shook his head. "It's not in my nature to pry too far. Goodnight, Ms. Evans." He turned and went up the stairs.

Alaina frowned in confusion. That man was impossible to understand sometimes. She pushed the conversation out of her mind as she headed to the Dungeons. She had more important things to worry about right now.

Severus was waiting patiently by the door for her when she knocked. He opened it and let her in, closing it immediately behind her. He wasted no time in planting a kiss on her lips and slipping his arm around her waist. "Now, what did you want to talk to me about, love?"

She smiled sweetly. "It's hard to think when you kiss me like that."

He quirked an eyebrow. "Ah, this is about to be a serious conversation. My apologies."