55. The Diary

Classes resumed and months passed. The attacks on the Muggleborns seemed to cease and life at Hogwarts returned to some semblance of normalcy. Harry, Ron, and Hermione had gotten no closer to figuring out who the heir of Slytherin was either. The majority of the student body still gave Harry dirty looks, but the whispers had died down to a minimum level.

Alaina and Severus had been so busy with classes that they really hadn't had much time to spend with one another lately. They hadn't been in the same room with each other since Christmas and February was well under way. There were stolen glances and a few hurried pecks on the cheek when no one was looking, but that had been it.

Severus was buried under a mountain of paperwork when Alaina walked into his office that night. He didn't even notice that she was there until she pushed the stack of papers in front of him aside. She sat down where they had been. He gazed up at her, a smile spreading across his face.

"I take it you wish to have my attention?"

Alaina smiled. "You're sharp," she said a little sarcastically. "Do you have any idea what today is?"

Severus raised an eyebrow. He knew exactly what day it was. "As a matter of fact, I do. I was driven nearly mad whith singing valentines today. I had to put enchantments around the classroom door to keep them out and then my students were attacked once they left by them."

She giggled. "I welcomed the interruption. My heart really wasn't into teaching today." She leaned forward. "My mind was somewhere else."

His features softened. "What were you thinking about?"

"You," she answered immediately. "Us. I haven't seen you in a non-official capacity in over a month besides at lunch. I miss you."

"I miss you too." He sighed, laying down the quill in his hand. It was true. He had been working too hard lately and so had Alaina. "What did you have in mind for Valentine's Day?"

"Anything that will allow us to spend some time together."

Severus thought for a moment. "You're absolutely right. We will meet at the lake later on tonight. After dark, around 8pm. Don't be late."

Alaina stared at him. "Really?"

He rose to his feet and leaned in until their noses were touching. "I'm dead serious. I know exactly what to do."

She smiled broadly. She felt like a giddy lovesick school girl. "Yay."

He burst out laughing.

"What's so funny, Severus?"

"Yay?"

She laughed. "Yes." She gave him a peck on the lips, but he didn't let her get away from him with just that. It had been too long.

He grabbed her arm and gently pulled her to him. His lips captured hers passionately. It was kisses like these that she missed. Alaina wrapped her arms around him, shaking her arm free of his hand, and squeezed him tightly. She never wanted to let him go. He ran his fingers through her hair as he deepened the kiss. A few minutes later, he released her slowly. They parted, breathing hard.

"I miss that," Alaina admitted.

"As do I," Severus confessed breathlessly. "We will make up for lost time tonight. I promise."

They endulged in another lingering kiss before Alaina hopped down off the desk. "Visiting hour is over," she said. "I'll see you in two hours."

"Yes, you will," Severus agreed. "Please leave me now, Alaina. If you stay in the room much longer I might not be able to contain myself from you."