32. Detention With Hagrid

Professor McGonagall waited until morning to go and inform Alaina of what her adopted son had done.  Alaina was so furious she could hardly speak.  She had to excuse herself from Minerva's presence and go back to her private quarters to calm down.  By the time she felt she was cool enough to handle Harry without hurting him, it was time for class.

Alaina walked into her classroom and sat down at her desk.  She didn't greet the class before her at all like she usually did.  She went through the lecture she had planned without smiling one time.  Once class was over, she was ready to move on to the next one.  Her class exited the classroom fast, whispering as they left.  They had never witnessed her in such a bad mood before.

"Why the long face?"

She looked up.  Fred and George Weasley were standing there.  George was grinning.

Alaina shook her head.  "It's nothing, boys.  Just go on to your next class before you're late."

Fred smiled.  "It's about the trio, isn't it?  They lost a lot of points for Gryffindor.  Everybody is real sore at them."

She frowned.  "Really?"

"Yeah," George agreed.  "They're planning an ambush.  They're going to tie them down and-"

"Don't ruin it, Georgie," Fred stated.

Alaina stared at them.  Were they serious?  Were some of the students planning to do something to her son and their friends?

"I really wish you hadn't told me, Fred, George," she told them.  "Now if anything happens to him I'm going to have to interrogate the entire Gryffindor house."

They both cracked up.

"What's so funny?" she asked with a smirk.

"We were only joking," the twins said simultaneously.  

Alaina sighed in relief.  She smiled.  "You two really had me going there."

"We got you to smile, didn't we?" Fred asked.

"I guess you did."

"You're welcome," George said.

"Thank you."

Fred and George gave her a goofy nod and then darted out of the classroom.  Alaina smiled.  She really did like those boys.

She went through the rest of her classes for the day easily.  Once they were finished, she went straight to Harry's last class of the day and waited outside.  He came out with Hermione and Ron and Neville.  They were all chatting excitedly about their teacher.  Professor Binns was apparently boring.

"Harry."

He stopped when he heard her voice.  The tone was not pleasant.  He swallowed hard.  "Hello, Mum."

"We need to talk," Alaina told him.  "Say goodbye to your friends."

Harry turned to them.  "I'll see you guys back at the Common Room."

"Bye, Harry," Hermione said quietly.  

She, Ron, and Neville went on down the hall without him.  He looked up at her thoughtfully.

"What did I do?" he asked.

Alaina set her jaw.  "You know exactly what you did.  I was going to speak to you this morning, but I was too upset.  We'll discuss it when we get up to my office."

Harry gulped.  His mind was reeling.  He hadn't told her about his late night adventure.  He wondered what he had done other than that.  He thought about it the whole way up to the seventh floor.