45. Second Year Classes

The next day was hectic. Lucky for Alaina, first years didn't have to take her class, so there were no new faces to get to know. Everybody sitting in front of her had been there before and they knew what they were to do. Fred and George had moved on, so there were no distractions so far. She had to admit that she was kind of going to miss them just a little bit. They were definitely good for a laugh when the mood was gloomy. She wasn't surprised that they took the class based their father's fascination with Muggles. She just hoped that they took something worthwhile away from it and wondered what sort of students she would be dealing with this year. She looked up at the students before her. They all seemed to be working tirelessly on the reading assignment and questions she had given them.

Her first class proved to be blissfully easy to handle. The second and third were just as easy. It was finally lunch time after that she was about to head toward the Dungeons when there was a light tap on her classroom door. Her first thought was that one of her students had forgotten something, but when she looked up she saw that it wasn't as student at all. It was none other than Gilderoy Lockhart. He was standing casually in her doorway. She wondered silently what he could possibly want with her. She smiled just to be polite.

"Hello," Alaina greeted him. "May I help you with something?"

Gilderoy smiled at her flirtaciously. "Do you know who I am?" he asked adjusting his clothing.

"Yes, I do. I saw you at Diagon Alley, Mr. Lockhart."

"Good. At least I don't have to bother with introductions. Of course, I never do. Witches and wizards alike know me wherever I go."

She wanted to roll her eyes, but she didn't want to be rude.

"Have you read my books?"

"No. I don't really read that much."

He frowned, but only for a moment. "Well, that doesn't matter. There will still be plenty for us to talk about. I was hoping that you would have lunch with me. I've asked around and you seem to be the only single lady in the castle around my age. I believe you might even be a bit younger than me. A gorgeous young thing like you should never eat alone."

"What makes you think I'm going to be eating alone?"

"You already have someone that you eat with?"

"Yes. As a matter of fact I do."

He walked confidently up to her desk. She could smell an overpowering scent the closer he got. He first thought was that he must have marinated himself in whatever cologne he was wearing.

"Are you sure you won't join me anyway? I would love to get to know you, Ms. Evans."

She frowned. "How do you know my name?"

He smirked. "I make it a habit to know who I'm working with and to have a companion when I eat."

"I'm sorry," Alaina apologized. "But I have another appointment I must attend." She got up from her chair and he swooped in beside of her. He was so close she could smell the minty freshness of his breath. She backed away. Obviously the guy didn't know the meaning of personal space.

"May I ask with whom you will be dining?" Gilderoy said. "I must know my competition."

She stared at him blankly. He was a raving lunatic. Competition? "No, I don't think that's a good idea."

"No matter. I'll ask around. I will find out." He gave Alaina a bow and then excused himself. He went out the door backwards, never taking his eyes off of her until he reached the door.