(1) Ichika

unrevised

unrevised.

/ chapter 1 /

"Do you know what to do, Ichika?" He eerily said, as he reached his pale hand over to her and lightly touched the locks of her long blue hair.

She couldn't see his face. No, more like she wouldn't. She was too afraid to look up, so she remained sitting and kept my eyes down on her lap.

A sharp pain shot through her head as the back of her head was suddenly yanked back. Her navy eyes were forced to meet his purple orbs that held a dark glint to it. He his hand had a fistful of her hair and it made her wince. The corners of his lips turned upwards. He was enjoying this, enjoying hurting someone like he always did.

"You just got to step forward and reveal yourself once I'm done with the announcement," He said, before drawing his face closer to her and looked dead into my soul. "Do it for your dead brother. Then at least, you would have done something for him."

Her eyes widened and she physically started to shake as memories flowed back through her head. She immediately retorted by shoving him away from her as she cowered away into a ball, hugging her arms as a means to stop herself from shaking.

He had stumbled back and instead of getting angry, he laughed at her reaction.

He enjoyed this.

Her vision became blurry as she realised that her eyes were welling up in tears.

"Sawa!" He loudly called which was quickly followed by the sounds of light footsteps.

The paper doors slid open, and confidently strode in a middle-aged lady with a stern, sharp face. She wore a dull kimono and had her arms clasped together in front of her. The head maid, Sawa.

"Take her away."

With a compliant reply, Sawa tugged on her arm and she was pulled to her feet. Her body was still shaking and it was rather hard to keep her balance, but as she guided her out of the room she somehow was still able to follow.

She didn't know what was happening anymore. It was overwhelming for her. She felt empty on the inside. It was a deep, hollow feeling. How was she supposed to carry on after she just lost her own brother? The little boy that followed her everywhere she had went and who she vowed to protect, but failed.

Akito painfully reminded her of that.

As she was guided away, she couldn't help but thrust herself into her own world of thoughts.

It was her fault he was dead.

*
*
*
*

"Nee, nee. Did you hear? The youngest from that family passed away. Don't you think it's weird? No one knows the reason why. They haven't said anything." One whispered among their friends.

Another whisper replied, "You're right, it's a little suspicious. You don't think that—"

"That's enough. You're at a funeral. Keep your opinions to yourself, and be more respectful." A man interrupted, his face carrying a somber expression.

Hastily apologising, they quickly moved away from him and disappeared into the crowd of seats.

Hatori sighed and faced the front. He crossed his arms over as he watched each row going up one by one and placed a flower down at the open casket. He glanced over to the side in the front row. A girl with blue hair sat with her head lowered besides two other people. That must be the boy's family.

Although they were apart of the Sohma clan, Hatori had never seen them before nor did he know of them. He wondered why Akito had asked for all of the Zodiac member's presence here.

"Haa-san~ You're scary~" Commented the man that sat next to him. Hatori glanced at him.

"Be quiet, Shigure." Hatori cooly replied. He already  regretted choosing to sit next to this idiot. He didn't know what had possessed him to.

Shigure parted his lips, but just as he did so, he suddenly became tense and straightened his back. He was intensely staring at something. Hatori, curious about his change in demeanour, followed his friend's gaze.

A man dressed in a white robe followed by a red outerwear that hung loosely on his body made his way towards the front. Hatori's eyes widened slightly as he recognised him. Akito?

He stood in front of the girl and smirked. Hatori could barely see, but it seemed like he was saying something to the girl. He couldn't read lips but he could tell the girl was uncomfortable and frightened. She profusely shook her head and said something back. This made Akito's expression turn into a scowl as he took a firm grip on her wrist and pulled her up from her chair, yanking her towards the casket.

The sounds of murmuring abrupt as people wondered what the commotion was about. Hatori hadn't realised he had stood from his chair until Shigure placed a hand on his shoulder with a serious expression.

He didn't know what Akito was planning.

"Akito-sama! Please! You mustn't!"

"Yes, please listen! She must be kept a secret!"

The older man and woman who had been sitting beside the girl cried out to him as they tried to take another step forward before they were blocked by Akito's guards.

What was happening? Hatori thought. He cringed inside at the thought of the girl being roughly handled by Akito.

"Everyone! I'd like to make an announcement!" Akito smiled widely, though his smile was somewhat frightening.

He pulled the girl in front of him as they stood in front of the boy's basket. They were dead centre and now in front of everyone. Hatori watched as the girl shook in fear. She was shaking so hard that he could see it from a distance. Her eyes were wide, red and hysterical.

"This girl here.." He started, gripping both of her arms hard enough that it seemed painful. "...is another zodiac member! Isn't that crazy?!"

Hatori's eyes slowly widened. Another cursed? But how? It was impossible. There were only thirteen of them.

He was sure the other zodiac member's around him thought the same as well.

"'How can there be another one?' That's what you're all thinking, right?" Akito laughed, "You see. There isn't any other one. She's the dragon."