(25) Part 2.

TRIGGER WARNING: ⚠️ ATTEMPT ⚠️ YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

song: uleum by mokyo
unrevised.
/ chapter 25 /

"Grab a hold of my hand, Ruki!" The blue-haired girl yelled, reaching over to her little brother with a frantic look

"I-I'm scared, Nee-san." He expressed.

They were barely hanging over the edge. This was all her fault, if only she hadn't revealed her true form to him in the first place then they wouldn't be at this point.

A cracking noise was heard and she noticed the edge of the cliff was slowly shattering. The small rocks that broke apart from the cliff had tumbled down into the large streaming river below them. It was quite a drop from the height they were.

It was dangerous.

How could she even let this happen?

"It'll be okay, Ruki. T-Try to stay calm, alright?"  She tried assuring him, tears forming in her navy eyes. "Please grab my hand."

She was getting scared, but she was certain Ruki had it worse. He was the one holding the edge of the cliff with one hand.

"O-Okay.." He finally replied. Then he tried reaching up for her with his other hand.

He was just within her reach. Just a little more and—

It was too late. His hand was inching further away from her, and when she had come to realised, he was already falling. Her eyes widened as she scrambled over the edge of the cliff to try to reach him from that angle, but to her dismay, she could only catch the scared look in his eyes. One that shook her to her core.

She watched his body fall into the deep water below them as she screamed his name.

Ichika pushed herself up from the bed with loud gasps. Her forehead was covered in sweat and her body was full shaking of the fear. Her eyes were wide and she'd grown more pale.

She looked over to Tohru, who was sleeping peacefully on the bed next to her, before looking away. She hugged her knees to her chest and squeezed her eyes shut.

"Monster!" She remembered her mother's yells and her father's shocked face.

There were people standing around them. Unfamiliar people. Some were dressed in the same uniform, searching the riverbank that he'd fallen into, while a few of them stayed by her, checking her body and made sure she was okay.

Even with a blanket over her thin body, she was still shivering with fear. She almost lost recollection of what happened but the playback in her head painfully reminded her.

It felt unreal, as if all of this was a dream. But in reality it wasn't.

"Ma'am, please step back." The man who had draped the blanket over her urged her mother.