(45)

unrevised.
/ chapter 45 /

Hatori looked at her with confusion and Ichika brought an index finger to her lips to hush him.

"Listen, Hatori-san."

Complying with her command, Hatori straightened his back and close his eyes shut. He decided to focus on all of the sounds around them. He zeroed in on the gurgling sounds of the bamboo fountain pond close to them, then swiftly switched to the chirping of the local pigeons. Then he heard the rustling of the tree branches caused by the gushing wind, which was then followed by sniffling and weeps.

Exactly like Ichika described, someone was crying. But who?

"It's coming from over there." Ichika pointed, taking a step into the direction they heard the sounds from.

Hatori immediately took her hand to hold her back. He felt an ominous feeling wash over him and looked down at her with concern. Whatever it is, he didn't want her walking into any danger. Curiosity kills the cat.

"But Hatori-san.." Ichika returned his look with puppy-dog eyes.

The Doctor sighed and pulled her closer to him. "Fine, but stay beside me." Was all he said, which earned a bright smile on her face.

The two Dragon Spirit bearers walked hand in hand and made their way closer to the sound. Ichika's heart thumped against her chest and her blood pumped with adrenaline. She could feel a droplet of sweat fall down the back of her neck.

Why was she so nervous? That, she couldn't answer. Instead, Ichika squeezed Hatori's hand tightly for comfort. The man beside her noticed her tenseness and stopped in his tracks to questioned what was wrong. She shook her head and asked to continue. Hesitantly, Hatori complied and held her hand firmly before heading towards the sound.

It didn't take long before Hatori stopped in his tracks again. Ichika, who was almost too busy looking at their other surroundings hadn't noticed Hatori had stopped. With their hands still linked, she was suddenly pulled back from taking another step and her navy orbs shifted to look at him.

He was staring at something awfully intently in front of them and curious about what he was staring at, she turned to face the front.

"What is that...?" She trailed off.

Hatori's gentle eyes had narrowed as he looked at the pavilion.

It was surrounded by thick trees that enclosed from both sides, creating a large shade. It was still daytime and the sun was still high in the sky, yet the sunlight didn't dare reach the pavilion.

The pavilion was old-looking. The walls were tattering yet it was still holding up with what little strength it had left. The 'windows' didn't look like windows as it was covered with bamboo and wood. It had its own roof and doorway.

Ichika could confirm that the sobbing was definitely coming from within it.

"The Cat's Room." Hatori grimaced. "In other words, the Isolation Room."

"The Cat's Room?" Her eyes widened. "This is the Cat's Room?"

Ichika's parents, with Akito's permission, had often threatened to send her here many times before if she didn't do as she was told. In fear of being even more isolated than she already was, she had to submit to them.

She never thought there would be a day where she would see the Cat's Room in real life, let alone only a couple steps away from where she was standing. Just the thought of it had her with goosebumps. She knew it wasn't a pleasant place for anybody, and that it tradition to completely isolate the bearer of the Cat Spirit from some point in their life as punishment for disobeying God.