(38)

unrevised.
/ chapter 38 /

"He's here again, Ichika-chan," Tohru stated in a sad tone. "Are you sure you don't want to see him?"

The blue-haired Sohma glanced at her fingers as she traced the words in the novel that she was reading. She hesitantly responded with a nod, making sure her fake firm expression didn't dissolve.

Tohru could see right through the cracks of her mask though. She just didn't know how to question Ichika's sudden coldness towards the people around her.

After advising her to take the weird call a couple of days ago, Ichika became different. She no longer ate with them anymore and preferred doing things on her own. She barely left the house, let alone her room, which Tohru found quite strange as she recalled that the bluenette loved having them as her company and she was starting to love the outdoors.

But now she didn't care about it in the slightest.

Hatori had made many efforts to approach her. To see what was going on in her head. But even Tohru could tell Ichika was hard to budge. She refused to see the Doctor despite the many times he has come to visit her. Tohru would try to help as she has access in and out of the room, but it seems Hatori was the only one Ichika didn't want to see the most. He would knock on her door and wait outside for long moments, and if he didn't get a response he would leave and do it all over again the next day.

Tohru also found it hard to keep a conversation with Ichika. A question to another came only with a quiet yes or no response. Even Shigure, Kyo and Yuki had tried their approaches, and to question why she was acting this way, but all she responded was that she was fine and liked being left alone. In turn it made it hard to connect with her like they used to.

Tohru knew that was a lie. She knew Ichika was the opposite of that. But why would she lie? Tohru would always notice the way her eyes lit when she spent time with the others. What changed?

It was like she was discarding everything. Pushing them away from her, as far as they could go, and Tohru was hurt by this. Why would her friend want to suddenly distance herself like this?

She just wanted things to go back to the way they were before. It was getting harder and harder each passing day, Tohru was afraid she'd conceal her existence completely and soon disappear into thin air as if her existence was never there. As if their bonds were never there.

"Ne, Ichika-chan, how about we make try making some cookies for everyone? I'm sure Kyo-kun, Yuki-kun and Shigure-san will love them." The brunette suggested with her eyes sparkling.

Ichika stiffened and clenched the book in her hands. She couldn't lift her gaze and meet Tohru's eyes knowing they what looked like. Hopeful. Ichika didn't want to give her that. She didn't want to give anyone that.

She just wanted to stay out of everyone's way.

"I'm feeling a bit tired. I don't have the energy to bake anything at the moment." Ichika responded as she kept her eyes on the words in her book. Tohru's heart pounded within her in a quick manner.

Despite her rejection, Tohru tried again. "How about we go and sunbathe outside? You can even sit and watch me plant some more vegetables like you used to as well!"

"The weather's been hot recently, so I'd like to stay indoors." The blue-haired Sohma rejected once again.

Tohru tried for another time. "I know! How about we arrange some plans with Momiji-kun? We can head to the mall, it'll be cooler in there because of the air conditioning, and there's more things to do there!"

"I'm fine."

"Er.. what about.. what if.." Tohru struggled to think of other ideas. "What if.. um.. uh.."