(51)

unrevised.
/ chapter 51 /

[Authors Note: This chapter's events took place before Chapter 49. This is a continuation of the previous chapter.]

"Of course, your parents, Ichika's parents, as well as the Elders all had an involvement in this, so it wasn't done by your own choice."

Hatori tried to register Akito's words and in doing so, he was left wordless. A dull ache formed in his temples. What kind of mess was this? He could've never guessed his own parents were involved in this too. How many secrets were everyone hiding and for how long had they been hiding it?

He was growing sick of it.

"It was simple. You, Ichika, Shigure and Ayame were all friends for a period of time in your past. When Ichika's parents as well as the Sohma Elders came to learn of this, they frowned upon and opposed it, for a defective product such as Ichika's existence in itself should not be around any of the Zodiac members. They knew something needed to be done. There should not be two Dragon members. There should only be perfection. Ichika's parents were already ashamed of her to begin with, therefore they would go to great lengths to hide her."

Akito paused for a moment, her eyes shifting towards the older man whose hand was clutched tightly in his lap.

"Your parents had agreed with them. Their reasons were obvious. You were a striving student in all of your academics. Despite the flaw of inheriting the curse, you were the epitome of perfection. They wanted you to so badly succeed in becoming a Doctor, they wanted you to live their dreams for them. Your friendship band of four was too much of a distraction for you, but the biggest hindrance was Ichika. You were too close to her for their liking."

"With that being said, they forced you, Hatori, to partially remove some memories of your precious friends." Akito concluded nonchalantly.

Hatori touched the left side of his face as his face contorted into one of pain. He was not physically hurt, but instead it was his heart that was the source of his pain.

Akito's words seemed to click within him. He didn't need to believe Akito's words and he could've carried on his life being completely oblivious, but he didn't want to do that anymore. The truth was indeed painful, just as she said, and there was also no reason for her to lie as she had nothing to gain.

Who should he direct his anger to? The Elders? Ichika's parents? His own parents? Or...

Himself?

Hatori hesitated. "And what of my own memories?"

With a sigh, Akito answered. "You removed your own. Your parents found you collapsed in front of a mirror, assuming you couldn't withstand the sadness and guilt you directed your powers at your reflection."

"I, being the next Head of the Sohma Clan, knew what was happening but although my involvement was little to none in the early stages of this situation, without a doubt I still colluded with her parents to hide her later on." Akito smiled bitterly, shutting her eyes.

"The Elders are long gone. As soon as you officially became the Head of the Clan, their power over you and the Clan have weakened, yet you continued on with what they started. Why? What did you gain by hiding her? Why did you..." Hatori found himself gritting his teeth, unable to finish his sentence.

The God's eyes flung open abruptly and she cried, "Because she's mine!"

Hatori could only watch astoundingly.

"There was a time the young and little me was envious of the four of you. Shigure, Ayame, you, Ichika... every time I heard the Elders talk about you all, I thought to myself, 'they're having so much fun.' While I was off attending stupid private classes at the mere age of eleven on how to lead and manage the Clan, you all got to run around and have fun! Ichika stole my spot! I was the God, not her! Gods were supposed to be the closest to their Zodiac, so why was she so much more closer to you all than I ever was?! " She exclaimed as her eyes gradually stung with tears and then her voice broke.