(4)

unrevised.
/ chapter 4 /

"Nee-chan. Why did you do it?"

Ichika stared back in shock at the boy that stood in front of her. Chills ran down her spine. For some reason the boy had black scribbles on his face. He was hard to recognise, but his voice no doubt reminded her of who he was.

"I-I didn't mean to Ruki.. I-" She started.

He cut her off. "Why? Why was it me?"

She gritted her teeth as her eyes stung. Her throat constricted as she took a step forward. She reached a hand out to him, only for him to slap it away. Cowering her hand to her chest, she couldn't help but be shocked.

"Why couldn't it be you?" He said rhetorically.

Her eyes widened as he continued.

"Wouldn't it have been better that way? After all, it's not like anyone would miss you. If only it was you."

Ichika stumbled back and fell on her bottom. As Ruki took a step closer to her, she cowardly crawled back.

"I-I know it was my fault.. I know! I'm sorry!" She screamed, raising both hands to her ears to cover them.

"If you're really sorry, then pay for it."

Ichika forced herself up from the bed in a cold sweat. Breathing heavily, she placed a hand on her chest to calm her rapid breaths and her beating heart. Suddenly, a door slammed open and she flinched.

Ichika looked up at the intruder and saw an unfamiliar face. It was girl with long brown hair and blunt bangs. She was in a blue and white school uniform with an apron tied at the front. She suddenly ran over to her side in a haste and kneeled beside the bed.

"You're awake! Are you okay?!" She exclaimed. Her eyes filled with concern, something Ichika wasn't familiar with.

Ichika took a while to respond as she took in the new appearance. Eventually she nodded, earning a smile from the girl.

"I'll have to tell Hatori-san, please wait here!" She said hurriedly, turning away.

Ichika immediately reached out and clasped the material of the girl's blue skirt, stopping her. The girl turned to her in surprise with a question mark on her face.

"Where am I?" Ichika hesitantly asked.

"Don't worry, you're definitely safe here. You're at Shigure-san's house! Hatori-san brought you here last night!"

Ichika slowly let go of the girl's skirt as many questions filled her head. The girl smiled assuringly to her and excused herself.

Shigure's house, the girl had said. She didn't remember getting here.

A piercing pain shot through her head and she grimaced. Flashbacks of yesterday's events soared through her mind all at once. Being saved by Hatori, taken home by her parents, shoved inside a shed and locked in the darkness. What had happened after that? She had remember someone had come to save her. The relief she'd felt in that instance after hours of trying to break out of that little shed.

Ichika looked to the doorway as footsteps approached. The girl had returned with a smile on her face with a tray in her hands.

"I've just informed Hatori-san. He will be over soon to check up on you." She gently said, placing down the tray on the coffee table.