(42)

unrevised.
/ chapter 42 /

"... I did kill my brother, Hatori-san.. or so at least.. I thought I did. For a very long time." Ichika grimaced. "It's almost like I don't know what's real and what isn't anymore. Some days I believe I did. Some days I believe I didn't."

She looked at him through her thick lashes. Her eyes searched for disappointment in his eyes, but had only found a source of unknown emotion whirling within Hatori's violet orbs.

That was when she decided to part her lips and begin her story.

"A couple of days before it happened, I decided to reveal the truth to Ruki. He knew I was a member of the Zodiac but had never seen my form before, and that was because my brother was never allowed anywhere near me."

"Although being forbidden by our parents, Ruki was always curious about me. He would often try to interact with me the best he could, stealing the keys to my door from my parents to sneak into my room just to have a chat with me. He'd bring his books, or show me what he did during school. We'd play card games, board games, or we would just sit there and talk to me about the wonders of the world.

I enjoyed his company a lot because he was the only other person I ever interacted with. He was kind to me when our parents weren't, I appreciated that most about him. He was a sweet little brother to me, and we were only a few years apart."

She smiled at the memories, and her heart warmed with the thought of the good old days.

"Considering my bittersweet reality, he started arguing with my parents about them keeping me locked up all the time. What he called imprisonment. He didn't really understand why I couldn't take a step outside. I was already resigned to my fate and believed it was my duty to stay put as the unknown, but Ruki refused to accept it."

A pang of pain shot through her heart as she told her story.

"Ruki, you can't keep arguing with them like this. You'll really anger them!" She raised her voice.

"You know why I am!" He shouted with balled fists to his side. "Why do they do this?! Just because you're a member of the Zodiac? But I see the other members are able to leave their houses easily! What's the difference?!"

A crestfallen expression arose on her face.

"Ruki couldn't understand because he'd never seen my true form. The one I was resented for."

"Then one day, after sneaking into my room again, he decided he'd take things upon his hands. He was a reckless kid, he had many ideas and liked acting on them, the opposite of me. So he decided to sneak me out of my room to show me the outside world. I didn't enjoy the experience as much as I should as I was afraid of getting caught, but he didn't care about that and was just happy that I was outside with him."

"We were gone for a couple of hours, he made sure to show me all of his favourite areas around the Estate. No one saw us, nor recognised us thankfully. Somehow we'd managed to sneak to the outskirts of the Estate too, to his favourite forest."

She shook her head from side to side and drooped her shoulders. She balled her fists at her side tightly.

"I was having so much fun that in the spur of moment, I hugged him while being overfilled with joy."

Ichika shifted her gaze over to the younger boy, who was looking up at the sky. Her smile never left her lips.

"Ruki." She called out to him, and he turned to her.

"Hm, Nee-san— eh?"

The bluenette outstretched her arms and hugged him tightly. "Thank you," She whispered appreciatively, though audible enough for him to hear. "For taking me out, even if it's temporarily."