(11)

unrevised.
/ chapter 11 /

"Amazing.." She muttered to herself in awe as she watched Hatori skilfully flip the omelette.

Ichika leant against the kitchen counter, tapping her feet to a rhythm excitedly as the smell of food wafted her nose.

Once the doctor was satisfied with it's cooking time, he placed it atop of the ketchup rice he'd just made.

"Do you cook often, Hatori-san?" She asked him, eyeballing the nicely shaped jiggly omelette.

"I cook here and there. When Momiji visits, I often make this dish. It's called Omurice." Replied Hatori, glancing at the girl. He was finding it rather amusing to see how excited she was for a simple dish.

Then a thought dawned him. The dish may be simple, easy to make and was well known, but perhaps she'd never gotten to taste anything like this no matter how simple it was. He found himself vexed as he thought of her neglectful parents.

"Momiji? The half-german boy?" Questioned Ichika, snapping him from his thoughts.

The dark-haired man nodded. "Yes, the bearer of the Rabbit spirit. You'll meet him soon perhaps."

He placed the dish in front of her and prompted her to take a seat. After doing as she was told, Hatori pulled out a knife and cut the omelette straight in the middle. This resulted with a gasp that came from Ichika. Her lips formed an o-shape as the omelette splurged outwards and lay perfectly on top of the rice.

"Go ahead." said Hatori, handing her a spoon in which she gratefully took.

Feeling excited, Ichika scooped the dish with the spoon and placed it into her mouth. Her taste buds savouring its flavour. Her cheeks became rosy as her eyes lit up. Delicious! It tasted like nothing she's ever had before.

Hatori leant his back onto the sink and crossed his arms as he blissfully watched her reaction.

As Ichika placed a few spoonful into her mouth, she caught his expression and halted in her actions. Her cheeks grew more red, realising Hatori was watching her stuff her face. It embarrassed her.

"I-I'm sowwry," She tried to say, her mouth too full to properly pronounce words.

A ghost of a smile twitched the corners of his lips.

"...A Squirrel."

Ichika blinked, dumbfounded. "Huh?"

Hatori held the lower part of his face, covering his mouth. His eyes slightly widened.

"Ah, I'm sorry. It slipped out. I didn't mean to offend you, it's just that you remind me of a squirrel right now. You know, one that'd stuff its face with walnuts." He quickly explained. "It's rather.. cute."

The bluenette's heart skipped a beat and she found herself trying to rein in her butterflies.

"T-Thank you.." She trailed off, unsure of what to say as she so badly wanted to runaway into a different room and scream into a pillow.

She heard Hatori clear his throat and almost missed the sight of his pink ears as he stiffly turned away to wash the dishes of the pan and equipment he used.

Ichika shyly ate her food as the two were enveloped in a fiddly silence. His words repeating over and over again in her head.

"Haa-sannnnnnn~!" A deep and familiar voice called out of the blue.

The two dragon spirits turned their heads to the door slamming open. In walked Shigure with a huge smile on his face as he welcomed himself in.

Hatori sighed to himself.