Chapter Thirty Seven

"Don't talk about them like that, they're not a tool!" Cyrus barks, grinding his teeth

"Don't talk about them like that, they're not a tool!" Cyrus barks, grinding his teeth. "They're still humans."

"Don't forget, they're Aragons, warriors of the God of Light. Their purpose is to protect, defend, and fight for us. They're here to keep the world clean and pure. Do you know what that means?"

Cyrus clenches his fists.

"They are weapons. The only hope of humanity," Antoine continues.

"They're still human like us!" Cyrus hisses.

"You can believe whatever you want, Bishop. But, be careful with your emotions. As the head of this branch and a member of the Ministry, you shouldn't become attached to anyone. Aragons, in particular."

Cyrus' body goes rigid.

Antoine smirks. "I know how much you adore Raiden, to the point where you treat him as if he were your own brother. Remember, that boy is nothing more than a vessel for King Solomon. His fate has been predetermined since the moment he awoke from that body."

"He's not a damn vessel!"

Antoine raises his brow in disapproval. "Watch your language, Bishop."

Sonnet places her hand on Cyrus' shoulder to calm him down.

"But, it's the truth, right?" Antoine says with a smirk. "That boy was never a human, or that thing inside the body, should I say. He exists solely to serve as a vessel. Maybe it's your fault why he's become the way he is now."

Cyrus clenches his teeth, trying to control his anger and frustration, and remains silent.

Antoine finishes his cigarette and snubs it out with the toe of his boot. He stuffs his hands into his coat pockets and looks at Cyrus.

"So, what happened at Emmanuel was a Blood Demon's doing, yes?" Antoine says after a moment of strained silence.

Cyrus nods, relieved that the topic has shifted. "You're right, Inspector. Emmanuel was one of Urielean Branch's best Aragons."

"Emmanuel was also a religious man even before he received the Calling of the Light," Sonnet comments, staring at the ground.

"Indeed," Antoine says, nodding. "It was unexpected for him to go to Depravity. I never thought he'd forsake the Light after facing a Blood Demon." He pauses and looks at Cyrus. "And now another artifact was taken. Those demons are no doubt targeting Solomon's seals."

Cyrus' face darkens, but he says nothing. He takes a seat and stares at his coffee.

"They are planning to bring the warriors of Light to extinction," Cyrus says, then his stomach lurches. If Raiden and the others are still in the hands of the Blood Demons, they are in grave danger.

"Anyway," Antoine continues. "Someone wants to join your forces for the moment."

Before Cyrus can ask what he means by his statement, Antoine walks to the door and swings it open.