Chapter Three

Just a few more steps, Raiden thinks, eyeing the faint light far ahead of them

Just a few more steps, Raiden thinks, eyeing the faint light far ahead of them. Even from the distance, he can make out the foliage pattern and bright colors of the circular window.

Silence surrounds him and Raia, save for the crunching of twigs and leaves beneath their feet as they rustle through the woods. The smell of damp earth, wet tree trunks, and flowers grow stronger as they go deeper, but every breath they take is like freshwater, cleansing their insides.

"Don't worry, we are close," Raiden reassures Raia even though she hasn't said anything.

She's quiet. I guess she's already tired, Raiden ponders, sneaking a glance at her.

After the incident in the town, the two ended up walking the remaining distance to reach the outskirts of Armaros, the capital of Panacea. But until now, Raiden can't still get the guilt off his chest for what happened at the coachman.

It's my fault, those words keep ringing around his mind, making his heart sinks deeper in guilt.

A cold wind blows, followed by the sound of rustling leaves and trees, their garments ruffling out. Raiden casts another apologetic glance at Raia, who is clutching the cloak tightly around her.

"We're here," he exclaims, his eyes glinting in the moonlight. "Finally, we have arrived at the headquarters of Nirvana Order." He releases a sigh and looks up.

Raia regards him with a frown, then she follows his gaze.

A cathedral made of rough-hewn grey stone looms in front of them. It appears to have gushed out of the earth, stretching high above. Its spires protrude sharply up the velvety dark sky like spikes.

"A cathedral?" Raia asks.

Raiden shifts his gaze to her and beams. "It's more than just a cathedral inside."

As they saunter closer to the enormous building, their gazes rove over the gloomy architecture. The angel sculptures on the tympanum are barely visible in the dim light from above. There are also sculptures of men and women around the portal, holding weapons of different kinds. Aragons.

Raiden looks at Raia as she studies the center section, which has fewer sculptures. There are only twelve men carved there, with six men facing the other six men.

"They're the twelve Prophets who fought the first war against the servants of darkness. The Holy War, " Raiden explains with a smile etched on his face.

Understanding dawns on Raia's features, eyes still fixated on the beautiful sculptures. "The first humans who became Holy Warriors of Azarios."

A gust of wind blows across them. They fall silent as they gaze upward at the great rose window, gleaming with multitudinous hues that match the emotions swirling within their chests.